Immortal Beloved DVD Extras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael:
    I have just been watching a Monty Python episode featuring our Ludwig. John Cleese played the part and I could not judge his piano synchronisation as his hands were not visible except when he picked up a gun to shoot a crow (not a parrot!).
    Among other serious inaccuracies, the programme showed Mrs Beethoven coming in with a vacuum cleaner while Ludwig was figuring out the opening notes of the Fifth Symphony. Mozart's son, Colin, made an appearance as a rat-killer and it was the noise made by his machine-gun that was the true cause of Beethoven's deafness.
    Apart from these lapses, it was more true to life than "Immortal Beloved".

Michael

I can tell you that 'Beethoven' often made appearances on the 70's comedy sketch series 'Not only...but also', staring Peter Cook and Dudley Moore. Moore (of course) played Beethoven (making good use of M's piano skills) portrayed as a glizy entertainer 'a la Liberace' with his own show.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
      I have just been watching a Monty Python episode featuring our Ludwig. John Cleese played the part and I could not judge his piano synchronisation as his hands were not visible except when he picked up a gun to shoot a crow (not a parrot!).
      Among other serious inaccuracies, the programme showed Mrs Beethoven coming in with a vacuum cleaner while Ludwig was figuring out the opening notes of the Fifth Symphony. Mozart's son, Colin, made an appearance as a rat-killer and it was the noise made by his machine-gun that was the true cause of Beethoven's deafness.
      Apart from these lapses, it was more true to life than "Immortal Beloved".

Michael

Great stuff, of course, and Cleese's performance was more understated than Oldman's.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        I can tell you that 'Beethoven' often made appearances on the 70's comedy sketch series 'Not only...but also', staring Peter Cook and Dudley Moore. Moore (of course) played Beethoven (making good use of M's piano skills) portrayed as a glizy entertainer 'a la Liberace' with his own show.

Rod, you're having a good day! Morricone, Pete and Dud - all you need now is AC/DC to complete the set!!

I thought Not Only.....But Also was from the 60s?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
          It amuses me that these guys are so concerned to look convincing at the keyboard and yet they don't care at all about far more important issues - Dirk Bogarde was absurdly cast as Liszt in some dreadful 1950's biopic, yet he took great pains to have lessons in order to 'play'!
          I have to agree with Rod about Oldman as Beethoven - most people though seem to praise his performance, even those who critise the inaccuracies.

Personnally I remember a strong-built healthy Cornell WILDE as CHOPIN (with Merle OBERON as George SAND) spitting blood on the keyboard at the end... and still looking like Gladiator !!!

I think for any actor it must be very difficult to become someone who personnalize a "politically correct" Beethoven.... For B.'s fans who have all their own idea of their eroe any little unacurracy is hard to swallow.

Zeffirelli is doing now a film about Maria CALLAS... let us see how crazy her fans will become.........

For anybody who plays piano it is easy to see when the actor plays really or not, for the most of movie-public it is not a problem at all. I remember me laughing so much during the movie "UN GRAND AMOUR DE BEETHOVEN" seeing Harry BAUR imitating to play what we could hear written for the right hand with his left-hand....

------------------
          Claudie
          Claudie

Comment

Originally posted by Claudie MICAULT:
            For anybody who plays piano it is easy to see when the actor plays really or not, for the most of movie-public it is not a problem at all.

True! Was Oldmann serious that he could play the Emperor in just a few weeks? Surely it can't be too difficult these days to get a real pianist and simply edit - what's the point of these actors trying to do the impossible?

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
              Rod, you're having a good day! Morricone, Pete and Dud - all you need now is AC/DC to complete the set!!
              Can't think of fitting AC/DC into this context, the only classical composer they mention in any of their songs is...sigh...Tchaikovsky. This is a source of great discomfort to me, but these guys wouldn't know the difference between B and T if they heard both, so they are forgiven. But I may as well mention Handel too, whilst I'm on a good run - at the moment I'm listening to H's 'Ode for St. Cecilia's Day (Pinnock/ English Concert, Archiv label). Absolutely beautiful and transcendental music, first rate.

Originally posted by PDG:

I thought Not Only.....But Also was from the 60s?
              60's and early 70's as far as I am aware. I will check and report if the truth is to the contrary.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                60's and early 70's as far as I am aware. I will check and report if the truth is to the contrary.

I am saved..just...the last series was in 1970.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                X