Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Gazing at this quiz through an alcoholic cloud:

No. 3 might be the unveiling of the Beethoven monument in Bonn in 1845. There's a bar a few feet away from it where I got quite tipsy one night and kept leaving to look at the monument.
    Liszt was very much involved with this ceremony (not me and the pub) and he performed the Emperor Concerto and conducted the 5th symphony in an afternoon concert.

Regarding No. 1 Beethoven once said something like: "I know no lovlier delight in the country than string quartet music - (or just quartet music)?"

Both correct Michael and they have also been answered by PM by others!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
      No.5 - Chopin’s B-flat Sonata

The sonata's opening bars allude to Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 32, Op. 111, Beethoven's last. The basic sequence of scherzo, funeral march with trio, and animated, resolving finale, repeats that of Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 12 A-flat major;

Was the peice played on all the black keys because it was a Funeral March?
      I think on second thoughts you are so close Megan that I'll allow it. Yes the two works I was thinking of were Chopin's Bb minor sonata and his favourite Beethoven sonata Op.26 (the only one he played). Of course the sombre reference is to the funeral march in both works and Chopin undoubtedly had the idea from the Beethoven work.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        I think on second thoughts you are so close Megan that I'll allow it. Yes the two works I was thinking of were Chopin's Bb minor sonata and his favourite Beethoven sonata Op.26 (the only one he played). Of course the sombre reference is to the funeral march in both works and Chopin undoubtedly had the idea from the Beethoven work.

Oh my, that's a record for me Peter, even though I got a bit stumped.
        The best part of the Beethoven teasers is discovering all the interesting facts.
        Roll on the next one.
        🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
          Oh my, that's a record for me Peter, even though I got a bit stumped.
          The best part of the Beethoven teasers is discovering all the interesting facts.
          Roll on the next one.
          Well they'll be monthly from now on, so some time in January - it's getting harder to think up the questions so I might have to broaden the scope a bit to all CM!
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

No. 3 might be the unveiling of the Beethoven monument in Bonn in 1845. There's a bar a few feet away from it where I got quite tipsy one night and kept leaving to look at the monument.
            Liszt was very much involved with this ceremony (not me and the pub) and he performed the Emperor Concerto and conducted the 5th symphony in an afternoon concert.

Sounds like you were well Brahms and Liszt that day, Michael (hic...).

Comment

PDG, you frightened the wits out of me when I saw this "Xmas Teaser" thread coming up.
              I thought Peter was starting early! Well, there are roughly only 300 days until Xmas and some people don't even bother taking down the decorations.

Comment

I don't bother putting decorations up - it saves taking them down later.

And, Hey! Merry Christmas, everyone!!

Comment

Working...
                X