Kids and Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Problem

OK, from what I've gathered, the problem we've discussed here can be summed up by the following:

1. More contemporary music is being performed in some places than older music; this may be alienating younger listeners.
    2. In this void, younger listeners turn to so-called pop music.
    3. Schools are doing nothing to help.

Analyzing the Problem

With #1, we have a point that is perhaps debatable. I conceed the point that if all one hears of classical music is Elliot Carter or this Harrison-Birtwhistle fellow (whom I've never heard of before) alienation is possible. However, as I said, not all contemporary music is "bad" or "not music". Anyone truly determined to crack this nut will eventually come across John Corigliano or John Adams, the last half century's two best composers. They are probably much better, and are less likely to alienate. #2 continues that this alienation drives them to popular music. The explanation for this is the following:

1. Back in older times, the newest music was always emphasized, though older music would sometimes get a performance. Nowadays, people are trying to say that all contemporary music is bad, and therefore we should listen to nothing but older music. However, with younger people, the idea of "old" can drive them away more that even the worst contemporary music. So therefore, they listen to "pop."
    2. The boundary lines between Classical and "Pop" are starting to fade. Several weeks ago, I heard a Christian CD in my sister's room. The song at the time was an instrumental, and it sounded like a string quartet. Also, just last week, I heard a CD by a band called Therion in the catagory of "Symphonic Black Metal." This was sort of like heavy metal, except there was a full orchestra with the band, and most of the vocals were done by a choir and sometimes even soloists singing in an operatic manner! And one of their numbers incorporated fugal passages for the Choir.
    3. Singers like Pavoratti et al, who have truly horrible voices. Once, I heard a recording of the Three Tenors on the radio, and it didn't sound like they were singing, it sounded like they were shouting! Sometimes, their singing hurts.

And with #3, perhaps we do have a bit of a problem. The ideal time to pick up classical music is when you're young, and the schools are either ignoring it, or trying to forcibly cram it down young people's throats. Neither of these helps much.

The Solution

As several people commented above, sometimes their friends or family would come to them independently to ask for Beethoven et al CDs. The explanation is that they here them listening to it and get hooked. That illustrates part one of the solution: play the music to them in a non-invasive manner. When you don't try to force it on them, but let them come to you, they're more likely to be interested. This kind of listening should start when they're in the womb.

Second, in concerts, the sampling of contemporary composers should not be limited to one or two composers like say Carter or Harrison-Birtwhistle. Rather, a broad sampling of all contemporary music should be done, with some older music mixed into the concert. Eventually, people with gravitate toward the better of the contemporary composers, and music will go forward.

Third, recognize that the boundaries between classical and "pop" are starting to fade away. Once this is recognized, you can perhaps wean a rebellious child into classical through some of the popular music I mentioned earlier, and whatever else you can find in that area. To a certain extent, this is already being done; I once had a book (I can't remember the name) in which the author examined all Classical music from Baroque to Contemporary in a rock\roll context and gave a year-long program in which the listener spens a week listening to certain pieces of Clasical music and getting to know them, with some review weeks thrown in.

Fourth, start throwing more classical music into movies or cartoons and\or expose your kids more to the older cartoons. Julie has a valid point when she mentioned the fact that this introduced a generation of younger people to Classical music.

The most important thing to realize, though, it that all music is linked together in one way or another, and what affects one genre will eventually cross over into another. Once this is realized, the solution becomes obvious.

Bob

------------------
    I am not a number, I am a free man!

[This message has been edited by Bob the Composer (edited 07-30-2001).]
    Some have said I am ripe for the Madhouse. Does that make me Beethoven? No, but it is interesting.

Comment

Very interesting topic, folks! I think Bob is quite correct in saying that you shouldn't force classical music on kids, it needs to just be part of your life. I beleive there is good music in every genre (well, I still have trouble with rap), and that exposing kids to a variety allows them to appreciate different types of music, which is where you have to start. Just like beginning readers, you shouldn't deny comic books and force 'serious' books. I always had the radio tuned to classical when my son was a baby (that's all my frazzled, sleep-deprived nerves could handle!), and while now we do play more classical than anything else, we have a good collection of jazz, some rock, 'world'music, etc. So I now have a 10 year old that loves Beethoven (a performance of the 7th was his introduction), tries to be Glenn Gould on the piano, but also does a mean air guitar He certainly doesn't love all classical music, and I wouldn't expect a 10 year to!
      It's sad to hear that it's not just here in Canada that music is given such crappy treatment in schools; I guess I've always thought the UK was better at the cultural stuff (I guess because your kid's book writers are so great) I don't think we can rely on the school system to educate our kids about music...it's gotta be at home.

Susan

Comment

You can't and nor should you force anyone to listen to anything. However if Classical music is not readily available and given more exposure in films and on tv, then kids simply won't even come across it. No one made me listen to Classical music - I came across an old Lp of my Dads (which he never played) when I was around 9 - Haydn's Surprise Symphony and I was hooked! My parents were really surprised at my musical tastes (being more Glenn Miller people!), but within a few years they too were getting into Classical and to this day my father is always playing Beethoven!

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

I don't really understand the rationale of the educators here and elsewhere that music is not worth spending time and money on. To me, funding an elementary school band would likely reap more benefits, academic and otherwise, than is realized from the millions they spend on putting computers in the classroom. (I'm not anti-tech. But I don't believe computers help in the learning process nearly as much as some people do!) ...Susan is definitely right when she says that you can't rely on the school system. This is something parents MUST take charge of!
          ....And to the original poster, if the school system is refusing to expose the kids to Beethoven for whatever PC excuse, then the parents should start making some noise to change things. I sure would.

Originally posted by Peter:
          ....My parents were really surprised at my musical tastes (being more Glenn Miller people!), but within a few years they too were getting into Classical and to this day my father is always playing Beethoven!

A case of the child teaching the parents!

Mary (who's not usually this long-winded)

Comment

When I listen to music I guess I listen to all kinds of it. My parents nevered forced me to listen to classical music. The school systems needs to wake up and smell the coffee. I guess when you come from a family that understands the arts like my parents do. You get a little of everything. My own dad will listen to U2 every once in a while. My mom on the other hands loves folk music like Peter, Paul and Mary. I don't blame her. The education system is ok here I guess but it is hard to sit back and watch the arts fall throught the cracks. I guess I was too short on sports. Kids need that too.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
              Want some advise on this point? For Christ's sake don't do it. The whole business is scary, and you will remain scared until the end of your days. Music of any kind will not provide a remedy to your fear. Not that I'm a pessimistic kind of guy or anything...
              Oh, Rod, it couldn't be all that bad??!! (You want to tell us all about it)? Don't scare the poor lad into not wanting to give it a try.

Joy
              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Interesting topic and view from everyone. I agree that it's a shame that schools don't teach more of the classics. I also agree that it's a lot of the parents role to at least get their children interested to a certain degree. But in my household while I was growing up there was always music but little classical. When I first heard Beethoven at age 6 on TV I have been 'smitten' ever since, so no one ever introduced me to him. I always say B found me, I didn't find him. After that
                my Mom & Dad really got into it too and 'til today my Mom can't get enough of it. Just another example of children teaching their parents, I guess.
                As far as pushing kids into it, I don't think that's a good idea. My nephew, (who's ten and never listened to Classical), just last year he and I watched a couple of Beethoven movies and this year he listens with me to the classical radio station and actually listens when he goes back home and now he even got his Dad to listen to it in the car. I think sometimes it just happens. But, since two more people are now listening to B, I feel my
                work is complete.

Joy

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 07-30-2001).]
                'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

There are plenty of works by LvB which are accessible to young people - the 6th and 7th symphonies, for instance, Moonlight and the Emperor...I could go on. And there are other composers, Rossini or Tchaikovsky even, which most would find tolerable or perhaps even enjoyable!

AMEN!
                  Beethoven and all composers Rock!

Comment

Originally posted by oboe_15:
                    There are plenty of works by LvB which are accessible to young people - the 6th and 7th symphonies, for instance, Moonlight and the Emperor...I could go on. And there are other composers, Rossini or Tchaikovsky even, which most would find tolerable or perhaps even enjoyable!

AMEN!
                    Nice topic!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                      I see a big problem with it - contemporary Classical music is an elite within an elite. How can we expect to appeal to young people with the latest Harrison-Birtwhistle offering? or with 15 mins silence from John Cage?
                      Actually, I think young people would more readily embrace contemporary classical. The biggest complaint I hear from people around me is that CM is long and boring, so perhaps the newer, more "out there" modes would be more appealing, like in contemporary art, which my parents and grandparents can't relate to at all, but which I adore (well, most of it).

Television is probably the single most important medium for young people, and Classical music in general hardly gets a look in. Since we agree that Beethoven was the greatest composer, why is it logical to keep his music and virtually everything else pre 1950 off the screen?

But how can one translate the music into images? Any way you choose to do it there will be dissatisfied people arguing the visuals don't do the music justice, as Fantasia2000 didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie:
                        Since most children will listen to almost any type of cartoons and enjoy them, I think this is the perfect media to introduce them to classical music at an early age. So when they hear it elsewhere, it will be familiar to them and it might be just what they need to make them want to listen to more and grow to appreciate it.
                        I agree. I heard Saint-Saen's Dance Macabre (set to Hansel and Gretel) on Disney's One Saturday Morning, and though the storyline wasn't new, the music caught my attention.

But even those cartoons are disappearing. The new trend (at least in the US) is toward super-hero cartoons and Pokemon. Not that I have anything against Batman, but the only remotely educational cartoon I've noticed is "Histeria," which is made in bad taste.

Comment

Hopefully I can shed light on another aspect of the problem. I'm 18, and from my own experiences, a part of the problem is that even if kids become interested in CM, there's no one to share it with. A large part of maintaining interest is a conducive envrionment, and younger kids don't have that. When everyone else is talking about the latest N'Sync album, it's hard to have any meaningful conversation about CM since no one's heard of the pieces anyhow. Peer influence matters, as everyone knows.

I was lucky to have found this forum and have a friend in orchestra who actually played because she loved the music. From what I hear, many of the kids join the music program because of parents, or in order to have something to put on the college application. It's too easy for a flicker of curiosity to die when there's nothing to fuel it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jin:
                            I'm 18, and from my own experiences, a part of the problem is that even if kids become interested in CM, there's no one to share it with. A large part of maintaining interest is a conducive envrionment, and younger kids don't have that.
                            Which is why education is so important - music classes at an early age so all are involved - school orhestras, youth orchestras and a change in attitude towards the arts.

------------------
                            'Man know thyself'
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

But how can one translate the music into images? Any way you choose to do it there will be dissatisfied people arguing the visuals don't do the music justice, as Fantasia2000 didn't.
                              I haven't seen Fantasia 2000, but the original Fantasia was a huge success and proves it can be done.

------------------
                              'Man know thyself'
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Actually, I think young people would more readily embrace contemporary classical. The biggest complaint I hear from people around me is that CM is long and boring, so perhaps the newer, more "out there" modes would be more appealing, like in contemporary art, which my parents and grandparents can't relate to at all, but which I adore (well, most of it).

Fine - I've no problem with that. I agree that contemporary music should be given a fair airing, but so should traditional Classical as well. I recall the young musician of the year here in the UK a few years back when the young percussionist Adrian Spillet won - he played a thrilling modern piece and had a huge young following.

------------------
                                'Man know thyself'
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X