Young conductors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Young conductors

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOSEWeD8d6w&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]
    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Not bad - I'm sure most players ignore the conductor anyway - most conductors are probably best ignored!!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Not bad - I'm sure most players ignore the conductor anyway - most conductors are probably best ignored!!
      In my naivety I have always wondered why a conductor is needed.
      I mean , I am sure that for instance , Sir Simon Rattle is very good, but nobody can tell me that the BPO really need a conductor, I was fortunate to see them perform at the Royal Albert Hall a few years back now, I must say they were like great powerful, purring machine. Brilliant!
      I can't help thinking that excellent though the London orchestras are, there is really quite a gap between them and the very best world orchestras, like the BPO, and the Cleveland orchestra.
      Last edited by Megan; 12-16-2011, 01:43 PM.
      ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
        In my naivety I have always wondered why a conductor is needed.
        I mean , I am sure that for instance , Sir Simon Rattle is very good, but nobody can tell be that the BPO really need a conductor, I was fortunate to see them perform at the Royal Albert Hall a few years back now, I must say they were like great powerful, purring machine. Brilliant!
        I can't help thinking that excellent though the London orchestras are, there is really quite a gap between them and the very best world orchestras, like the BPO, and the Cleveland orchestra.
        I think in many cases you are right and there are probably only a handful of top notch conductors out there - the conductor's job is actually largely unseen and goes into the preparation for the performance, his own interpretation of a score. So yes the BPO can perfectly well play anything I would imagine without a conductor but of course then you hear the same orchestra with different conductors and the results are different.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Most performances are for show but it is the interpretation. Furtwangler blows away any other conductors for LvB's symphonies.
          See. Feel. Paint.

Comment

There is an orchestra, European I believe, that does not have a conductor. Every now and then I hear some snippets from their recordings on the radio, but I don't recall which orchestra it is. What I've heard from them sounded pretty good to me.
            Last edited by Sorrano; 01-16-2012, 12:51 AM. Reason: Afterthought.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
              There is an orchestra, European I believe, that does not have a conductor. Every now and then I hear some snippets from their recordings on the radio, but I don't recall which orchestra it is. What I've heard from them sounded pretty good to me.
              The Orpheus Chamber Orchestra is a first-rate orchestra, and they have no conductor.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                The Orpheus Chamber Orchestra is a first-rate orchestra, and they have no conductor.
                That's the one I was thinking of, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X