Striggio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Striggio

Having just purchased Victoria's 1605 requiem on Amazon, Striggio's 40 part mass is also recommended. This is a newly discovered work and apparently influenced Tallis - does anyone else know this work and have any thoughts?
    'Man know thyself'

Never heard it, but it looks interesting!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDUDWvB31lU[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Having just purchased Victoria's 1605 requiem on Amazon, Striggio's 40 part mass is also recommended. This is a newly discovered work and apparently influenced Tallis - does anyone else know this work and have any thoughts?
      Tallis' 40-part Spem in alium most likely has been strongly influenced by the Striggio, the latter's 40-part mass being a masterwork in its own right IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post

Peter, I am sure there was an article on this very subject,posted on the board a while back.

I don't think that the Striggio's 40 part Mass is a newly discovered work, I have known for about 5 yrs. Many Catholics are fascinated by Tallis' 40 part motet Spem in Alium, and recent research suggests that it may have been written for the marriage of Queen Mary Tudor, and King Philip II, Spain.
        It has always been for a long time a contention in Catholic circles that Tallis took the format from Italian masters like Striggio. It is very unlikely it was written or performed publically in Elizabeth I's reign, because she had in effect cut the country off from cultural influences on the continent
        Indeed, in the 1590's as the English government got more hysterical.
        Latin style Masses and musical compositions were banned and anyone associated with them and particularly priests, could face execution.
        Not surprisingly, Italian and Spanish composers as a whole gave England a wide berth.
        🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
          Peter, I am sure there was an article on this very subject,posted on the board a while back.

I don't think that the Striggio's 40 part Mass is a newly discovered work, I have known for about 5 yrs. Many Catholics are fascinated by Tallis' 40 part motet Spem in Alium, and recent research suggests that it may have been written for the marriage of Queen Mary Tudor, and King Philip II, Spain.
          It has always been for a long time a contention in Catholic circles that Tallis took the format from Italian masters like Striggio. It is very unlikely it was written or performed publically in Elizabeth I's reign, because she had in effect cut the country off from cultural influences on the continent
          Indeed, in the 1590's as the English government got more hysterical.
          Latin style Masses and musical compositions were banned and anyone associated with them and particularly priests, could face execution.
          Not surprisingly, Italian and Spanish composers as a whole gave England a wide berth.
          Thanks for that Megan.
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

I'm still learning. I recently discovered that Alessandro Striggio the younger, wrote the libretto for Monteverdi's first opera L'Orfeo.
            🎹

Comment

Working...
            X