Grammar in music.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grammar in music.

I appreciate that there is grammar in music, such as Sfordanzo, rests, full stops, slurs, staccato etc.
    But listening to Beethoven's rather lovely piano Sonata , no. 15 in D major Op.28 (Pastoral) yesterday, which I enjoy very much until the concluding part, which ends almost as though he gets fed up with it, he snuffs it out rather abrubtly with the two final loud abrupt notes - plunk, plunk , the two notes saying full stop. Sorry that sounds harsh , but I find that many pieces concluding this way with two final loud notes , saying, that's it!
    That's yer lot.com
    Last edited by Megan; 12-14-2011, 10:19 AM.
    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

That's just B slamming down the piano lid and guffawing, as was his wont.
    Some people have no subtlety in their humour.

Comment

two other Beethoven works immediately spring to mind - the Pastoral symphony and the Violin concerto, both of which end with two sudden loud chords!
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

The ending measures of one of B's cello sonatas:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	cello1.png
Views:	1
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	106005
        The time signature and tonality may be wrong. A better example of an abrupt ending perhaps is the 3rd movement in the 7th symphony.

Comment

Originally posted by STF92 View Post
          A better example of an abrupt ending perhaps is the 3rd movement in the 7th symphony.
          Or the ending of the second movement of the 9th.

Comment

Working...
          X