Elegiac Song Op118

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elegiac Song Op118

This piece is now available on the rare Beethoven page.
    www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/selected.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:
    This piece is now available on the rare Beethoven page.
    www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/selected.html
    Some of you may have uploaded this most excellent piece before, when I provided it for B's 'death-day' some time ago. As a reference point, it was sketched alongside the final revision of Fidelio, and represents in my opinion Beethoven's first venture into what became known as the 'late period' style, as is also hinted at in the text supplied (not my words) in connection with the late quartets.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Truly moving and beautiful - I'd say this occupies the same place in B's ouevre as the Ave Verum Corpus does in Mozart's.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
        Truly moving and beautiful - I'd say this occupies the same place in B's ouevre as the Ave Verum Corpus does in Mozart's.

I would like to hear the piece in its original more intimate form, Count Pasqualati's rememberance service must have been a most moving occasion with music of this quality (if indeed there was such an anniversary event for which the music was to be performed). I hope now you know why I suggested this piece for the Proms last night (for which the choral version is more appropriate). Imagine Beethoven's Equali played from high up on the balconies at the Albert Hall, followed by this piece. What an effect this would have had!

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 10-09-2001).]
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
          I would like to hear the piece in its original more intimate form, Count Pasqualati's rememberance service must have been a most moving occasion with music of this quality. I hope now you know why I suggested this piece for the Proms last night (for which the choral version is more appropriate). Imagine Beethoven's Equali played from high up on the balconies at the Albert Hall, followed by this piece. What an effect this would have had!

Thank you to put this fantastic piece again in our mind Rod ! I also love the "Equali".

------------------
          Claudie
          Claudie

Comment

Working...
          X