Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Aaaaargh.

(That is not another attempt at an answer).
    Well if there's no further progress a few clues may be on their way tomorrow!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Due to the general impasse, a slight hint that the remaining clues all refer to friends of Beethoven.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        6) Domestic Goddess strikes a chord with Beethoven.
        For this I was going to guess Josephine Brunsvik. Beethoven was in love with her (goddess), and went to her house (domestic) to give her piano lessons (strikes a chord).

Comment

(Re 2) In one of his letters to Bettina Brentano (I think) Beethoven mentions coming home at 4 am from a "bacchanalian feast" but I cannot find the Pastor and I have no intention of reading all through Thayer!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            For this I was going to guess Josephine Brunsvik. Beethoven was in love with her (goddess), and went to her house (domestic) to give her piano lessons (strikes a chord).
            No, but you're right that there is a piano connection, but not lessons.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

A wild guess at No. 6

While Beethoven accepted the von Breuning household as his second home in which he spent many nights as a guest, improvising on the piano to the delight of the company into all hours, his entrenched inability to let go of his reservations, haughtiness and stubbornness would surface on occasion. The von Breuning children would then not know what to do with him. Frau von Breuning would ask for their understanding, excusing the young genius as having his raptus again.

Helene von Breuning instructed her servants to allow young Ludwig unlimited access to the house on Münsterplatz and its music room with piano.

Frau von Breuning - widowed by the fire at the elector's palace - employed Beethoven probably in 1784 to give her daughter Eleonore and son Lenz piano lessons.

I wonder, was the Loenore overture named after Eleonore von Breuning?
              Last edited by Megan; 11-29-2011, 06:15 PM.
              ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                A wild guess at No. 6

While Beethoven accepted the von Breuning household as his second home in which he spent many nights as a guest, improvising on the piano to the delight of the company into all hours, his entrenched inability to let go of his reservations, haughtiness and stubbornness would surface on occasion. The von Breuning children would then not know what to do with him. Frau von Breuning would ask for their understanding, excusing the young genius as having his raptus again.

Helene von Breuning instructed her servants to allow young Ludwig unlimited access to the house on Münsterplatz and its music room with piano.

Frau von Breuning - widowed by the fire at the elector's palace - employed Beethoven probably in 1784 to give her daughter Eleonore and son Lenz piano lessons.

I wonder, was the Loenore overture named after Eleonore von Breuning?
                No I'm afraid not Megan - there isn't a teaching connection here.

Beethoven's overtures reflect the original title of the opera based on Bouilly's French libretto Léonore, ou L'amour conjugal.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                  Beethoven's last two piano sonatas were believed to be inspired by Josephine.
                  Would that be it?

Comment

Beethoven's last two piano sonatas were believed to be inspired by Josephine.
                    Would that be it?

Sorry no - it has nothing to do with Josephine! There are three clues in the original statement, one of which Chris has - the connection with piano.

I can also reveal that no.3 has been answered by PM (not Cameron!), but I'll wait to see if anyone else gets it!
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

No. 3: I think I have it.

Rimsky-Korsakov (and his arabian wife, Scheherezade) were close friends of Count Razumovsky and that was how he met Beethoven. Rimsky-Korsakov edited and orchestrated some works for Beethoven (much as he had done for other composers in Russia) but a scandal ensued over this, and RK had to flee. However, he returned a few days before Beethoven died and made a bumbling attempt at a reconciliation.

As a long-standing and honourable member of the Beethoven forum,I hope you will not insult me by Googling the above facts. Wikipedia never gets it right.

Comment

No. 3: I think I have it.

Rimsky-Korsakov (and his arabian wife, Scheherezade) were close friends of Count Razumovsky and that was how he met Beethoven. Rimsky-Korsakov edited and orchestrated some works for Beethoven (much as he had done for other composers in Russia) but a scandal ensued over this, and RK had to flee. However, he returned a few days before Beethoven died and made a bumbling attempt at a reconciliation.

As a long-standing and honourable member of the Beethoven forum,I hope you will not insult me by Googling the above facts. Wikipedia never gets it right.
                        I ought to let you have it for such a vivid imagination - unfortunately though not quite what I was thinking of!
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Well with just one more day to go and no further progress I'll have to help you out a bit!

No.2 refers to a suggestion for a work from an old friend.
                          No.6 The name is sort of contained in the clue.
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

No.6. Another bash. Nanette Streicher .

No. 2. Pascolati's House. I think where Beethoven enjoyed a Bacchanalian feast or festival.

Last edited by Megan; 12-01-2011, 02:33 PM.
                            ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

No.6. Another bash. Nanette Streicher .
                              Yes Megan! 'strikes a chord'. The clue also was also a reference to her being a piano manufacturer - 'domestic goddess' was a reference to her helping to sort out Beethoven's household from 1817 onwards.
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

No. 2. Pascolati's House. I think where Beethoven enjoyed a Bacchanalian feast or festival.

I dare say he did and probably on more than one occasion as he lived there on and off for many years! However not the answer I'm afraid.
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X