The Beethoven teaser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Beethoven teaser

1) Puzzling, but not for a clever man. Answered by Chris: WoO192 - Puzzle canon for Sir George Smart

2) The Pastor proposes a Bacchanalian feast! Unanswered : Karl Amenda who in 1815 proposed Bacchus as a subject for an opera.

3) Flight of the bumblebee, but a return at the end. Answered by Philip (in a PM) : Hummel (= Bumblebee) left Vienna in 1816 and Beethoven wrote the canon WoO 170 for him together with the inscription 'Bon Voyage, my dear Hummel. Think sometimes of your friend Beethoven'. Hummel returned to visit Beethoven on his sick bed.

4) A jar of pate is a triumph! Answered by Michael: Triumphal March from Tarpeja.

5) A bonnie laddie suggests an arrangement. Answered by Chris: George Thomson.

6) Domestic Goddess strikes a chord with Beethoven. Answered by Megan : Nanette Streicher, of Beethoven's favourite piano manufacturing firm who also assisted in his household affairs from 1817.
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter View Post
    1) Puzzling, but not for a clever man.
    The puzzle canon "Ars longa, vita brevis", WoO 192, composed for Sir George Smart.

5) A bonnie laddie suggests an arrangement.
    Surely it couldn't be this simple, but I suppose I must guess the folksong arrangement "Bonny Laddie, Highland Laddie", Op. 108 no.7.

Comment

Yes no.1 correct, but you're right I'd like a bit more with no.5!
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

...but you're right I'd like a bit more with no.5!
        Then perhaps the clue refers to the commissioner of the arrangements, the Scottish publisher George Thomson?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          Then perhaps the clue refers to the commissioner of the arrangements, the Scottish publisher George Thomson?
          Indeed - he's the bonnie laddie I'm after!
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

No. 4 sounds like a jumbled up triumphant march from Tarpeja. No?

Comment

And 2 might be the third movement of the Sixth Symphony. It was certainly portrayed as a Bacchanale in Disney's Fantasia.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                No. 4 sounds like a jumbled up triumphant march from Tarpeja. No?
                Yes!
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

And 2 might be the third movement of the Sixth Symphony. It was certainly portrayed as a Bacchanale in Disney's Fantasia.
                  No!
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

I thought not.
                    Regarding 3, all I can think of is the "Les Adieux" sonata which has a "return" in its last movement, but for the life of me I cannot imagine Archduke Rudolph as a bumblebee.

Comment

I thought not.
                      Regarding 3, all I can think of is the "Les Adieux" sonata which has a "return" in its last movement, but for the life of me I cannot imagine Archduke Rudolph as a bumblebee.
                      I thought the same thing, Michael, but I just couldn't figure out how a bumblebee or the flight thereof would fit into it...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                        I thought the same thing, Michael, but I just couldn't figure out how a bumblebee or the flight thereof would fit into it...
                        Totally unconnected, Chris, but the "Flight of the Bumblebee" is number one on my Classical Music Hate List. (Number Two is Puccinis's " O Mio Babbino Caro" ................"

No accounting for tastes.

Comment

No 6 : not Vesta again? (As in Vestas Feuer)?

Comment

No 6 : not Vesta again? (As in Vestas Feuer)?
                            No I'm afraid not!
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

No I'm afraid not!
                              Aaaaargh.

(That is not another attempt at an answer).

Comment

Working...
                              X