Comparing the 3rd and the 5th Symphony of LvB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comparing the 3rd and the 5th Symphony of LvB

I am what you might call a novice in the ways of classical Beethoven, however I have recently heard the 3rd and the 5th symphonies. Amazing, yet I must admit that the 5th reached me on a different level. Perhaps it was my preconditioned ear to the first 4 stanzas of the first movement, yet I was nearly frightened like a child hiding in the corner. I need help in analyzing the 3rd and the 5th symphonies. I am calling upon the great ones: PDG, Luis, Rod, Peter, Claudie. Help!

I must also include Bob the Composer and Chris. To digress a little-I have a professor that is never satisfied. Help on the 3rd and the 5th is highly regarded. And any witty remarks encouraged Rod.

Comment

What sort of analysis are you after?

Comment

Originally posted by jackson:
        I need help in analyzing the 3rd and the 5th symphonies. Help!
        Have you tried Rod's illuminating comments on the Symphonies page of this site?
        www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/symphonies.html

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

I am what you might call a novice in the ways of classical Beethoven, however I have recently heard the 3rd and the 5th symphonies. Amazing, yet I must admit that the 5th reached me on a different level. Perhaps it was my preconditioned ear to the first 4 stanzas of the first movement, yet I was nearly frightened like a child hiding in the corner. I need help in analyzing the 3rd and the 5th symphonies. I am calling upon the great ones: PDG, Luis, Rod, Peter, Claudie. Help!
          The great ones??!!! Have we now booked our seats on Mt. Olympus??!! Beethoven himself rated the 3rd superior to the 5th. I agree that we are all preconditioned regarding the first movement of the fifth. Its difficult to assess this piece with the same objectivity as the less well known movements. For my analysis of these works I recommend the symphonies page on this site (..neatly got myself out of that task!)

PS: Oh, just noticed Peter in his wisdom has made the same recommendation.

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 09-29-2001).]
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I need help in analyzing the 3rd and the 5th symphonies. I am calling upon the great ones: PDG, Luis, Rod, Peter, Claudie. Help!
            Well, Great is my middle name.....actually it's Dennis......

I feel as though the phenomenal fame of the openening of the 5th (surely the most instantly recognisable first second of ANY piece of music) has, somehow, harmed its true worth as one of the greatest classical works; it has almost become (forgive me) "Bubblegum Classical" - just too accessible for its own good!!

On the other hand, the 3rd, while only almost as famous as the 5th, is in many quarters regarded as the greatest symphony ever.

For what it's worth, I consider the greatest single assessible difference between the two as being the the awesome Funeral March of the Eroica - the Andante of the C minor work, great as it is, is not of the same world.

Comment

And any witty remarks encouraged Rod.
              I thought I was the witty one (sniff).........

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                I thought I was the witty one (sniff).........

You thought wrong.

------------------

Comment

I must also include Bob the Composer and Chris. To digress a little-I have a professor that is never satisfied. Help on the 3rd and the 5th is highly regarded. And any witty remarks encouraged Rod.
                  I was listening to the 5th about a week ago, and I'm lucky enough to possess a recording that does at least the first movement justice. It is a very intense movement, with almost no relaxed moments. The closest thing to a relaxed moment is the oboe solo that occurs in the middle of the movement. That was a very innovative touch on Beethoven's part, and it provides an important release of the tension before the movement starts building up to it's terrifying ending. There is, as Peter rightly pointed out, some very good articles by Rod about these symphonies on the Home page.

I will say more about these symphonies later.

<font color="green"> Bob

------------------
                  I'm finally back!
                  I love Piccardy Thirds!

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                    You thought wrong.

No, Rodders. I thought Wong. Wong's Chip Shop is just around the corner. I was hungry so I treated myself to haddock and chips. Yum! But never overdose on the pickled onions: They tend to repeat on you. They tend to repeat on you. They tend.....

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                      No, Rodders. I thought Wong. Wong's Chip Shop is just around the corner. I was hungry so I treated myself to haddock and chips. Yum! But never overdose on the pickled onions: They tend to repeat on you. They tend to repeat on you. They tend.....
                      Heck you are sort of witty after all PDG, though not funny enough yet to have true wit. Nevertheless I think, at this stage, you amply qualify for the rank of half-wit.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 10-02-2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                        Heck you are sort of witty after all PDG, though not funny enough yet to have true wit. Nevertheless I think, at this stage, you amply qualify for the rank of half-wit.

Hmmm.....Thinking about instruments of wind gives me an idea for a new topic.....

Comment

Working...
                        X