The Beethoven teaser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Beethoven teaser

Another round of teasers - again much too easy for you all, I'll have to toughen them up!

1) Part one by one, part two by many. Answered by Michael : The variations on a theme by Diabelli were published as a two part work 'Vaterländischer Künstlerverein' - Part one was of course by Beethoven and part two was by 50 other composers.

2) Count on some night music? Answered by Michael : Ritterballet - Ritter means Knight - ballet for Count Waldstein.
    Michael's alternative answer is quite inspired 'Slow movement of Op 59 No. 2. It was commissioned by Count Razumovsky and Beethoven said the inspiration for this movement was "the starry sky above".

3) A drama opens, but without us. Answered by Philip : Overture to Heinrich Collin's tragedy Coriolan, an adaptation of Shakespeare's Coriolanus.

4) Tragedy for string quartet? Answered by Roehre: Op.18/1 2nd movt represents the tomb scene from Romeo and Juliet according to Amenda and the sketches back this up.

5) Three shots fired at Hippocrates! Answered by Michael : The three Canons Beethoven wrote on the same quote - "Ars longa , Vita Brevis" (WoO. 170) (WoO 192) (WoO 193)
    The full quote is "art is long, life is short, opportunity fleeting, experiment dangerous, judgment difficult."
    Beethoven may have misunderstood Hippocrates here as the quote is from a medical context and the word 'art' can also mean 'craft' as in Chaucer's use of the quote: "The lyfe so short, the craft so long to lerne". Also often misattributed to Goethe who quotes it in Faust.

6) The Lieutenant general receives his orders. Answered by Michael : Beethoven would often refer to the publisher Steiner as 'generalleutnant'.
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter View Post

1) Part one by one, part two by many.
    Choral Phantasy opus 80
    2) Count on some night music?
    Oppersdorf / Symphony 4 2nd mvt
    4) Tragedy for string quartet?
    opus 18/1 Romeo and Juliet
    Last edited by Roehre; 11-18-2011, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
      Choral Phantasy opus 80

Oppersdorf / Symphony 4 2nd mvt

opus 18/1 Romeo and Juliet

No.4 is correct Roehre.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

No. 2 might refer to the second movement of Op 59 No. 2. It was commissioned by Count Razumovsky and Beethoven said the inspiration for this movement was "the starry sky above".

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          No. 2 might refer to the second movement of Op 59 No. 2. It was commissioned by Count Razumovsky and Beethoven said the inspiration for this movement was "the starry sky above".
          That's a very good answer Michael and definitely plausible, but I'm afraid not what I was looking for. However I think your answer is if anything better than the one I'm thinking of so if no one else gets that, we'll treat your answer as correct!
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

No. 6 : Anything to do with the music publisher, S. A. Steiner? Beethoven often referred to him as the "Lieutenant General".

Comment

No. 6 : Anything to do with the music publisher, S. A. Steiner? Beethoven often referred to him as the "Lieutenant General".
              Spot on Michael.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

No. 1: Diabelli variations?
                Volume one contained Beethoven's 33, Volume two contained variations by 50 other composers.

Last edited by Michael; 11-18-2011, 01:45 PM.

Comment

No. 1: Diabelli variations?
                  Yes again Michael - I said these were too easy for you!
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

I'll take a break after this last guess:

2. Ritterballet (WoO 1)?
                    Beethoven ghost-wrote it for Count Waldstein.

Comment

I'll take a break after this last guess:

2. Ritterballet (WoO 1)?
                      Beethoven ghost-wrote it for Count Waldstein.
                      Correct Michael!!
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Darn, you've all answered 2/3 of them before I even saw them!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                          Darn, you've all answered 2/3 of them before I even saw them!
                          Yes - that's frustrating!

There was a music quiz a few years ago on another website, and, if anybody knew the answer straight out, they would merely give a hint that would satisfy the question-master, and still leave the quiz open to everybody. It kept the quiz going and saved wear and tear on the poor question-master.

Following this example, I'll have a crack at No. 5:

I think it's a quotation (and musical work) and if you add the letter "e" to the end of the first word you'd get a slightly rude answer. ??

Last edited by Michael; 11-18-2011, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Yes - that's frustrating!

There was a music quiz a few years ago on another website, and, if anybody knew the answer straight out, they would merely give a hint that would satisfy the question-master, and still leave the quiz open to everybody. It kept the quiz going and saved wear and tear on the poor question-master.

Following this example, I'll have a crack at No. 5:

I think it's a quotation (and musical work) and if you add the letter "e" to the end of the first word you'd get a slightly rude answer. ??

You're correct Michael, though it is more than one piece as suggested by the question - I don't think we can go down this hint road, though the consideration of wear and tear on me is much appreciated, it took me a while to work out what you were on about!! What I will do is post them on a Friday evening (GMT) in future to allow the other side of the world time to wake up!
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                              You're correct Michael, though it is more than one piece as suggested by the question - I don't think we can go down this hint road, though the consideration of wear and tear on me is much appreciated, it took me a while to work out what you were on about!! What I will do is post them on a Friday evening (GMT) in future to allow the other side of the world time to wake up!
                              Okay - I may as well say what I think it is: Beethoven's three canons on "Ars longa vita brevis"?

Comment

Working...
                              X