Egmont Overature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Egmont Overature

What do you all think?? I love it. Was curios what the inspiration for this composition may have been.

[This message has been edited by Zon (edited 10-04-2001).]
    "To play without passion is inexcusable!" - Ludwig van Beethoven

The music to Goethe's tragedy Egmont was commisioned by Joseph Von Luchsenstein in 1809 and its theme of national liberation was topical at the time and greatly appealed to Beethoven. Unfortunately only the overture is well known, but the rest of the music to the play deserves to be heard more - No.7 (Clarchen's death) is particularly noteworthy.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thank you Peter. I will check out the entire composition. I have only heard the overature as it was a 'bonus track' on B's 1-9. I really enjoyed it. The harmony and melody really got me. A VERY unique composition.
      "To play without passion is inexcusable!" - Ludwig van Beethoven

Comment

Personnally I enjoy the whole music for EGMONT and also regret that only the "ouverture" is well-known !

------------------
        Claudie
        Claudie

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
          The music to Goethe's tragedy Egmont was commisioned by Joseph Von Luchsenstein in 1809 and its theme of national liberation was topical at the time and greatly appealed to Beethoven. Unfortunately only the overture is well known, but the rest of the music to the play deserves to be heard more - No.7 (Clarchen's death) is particularly noteworthy.

And what of Clarchen's marvellous song, "Die Trommel Geruhret"? Extremely infectious and more tuneful than any of the heavier numbers from Fidelio.

Comment

Working...
          X