X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genesis and Genius

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...is_and_Genius/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b016vgw7/episodes/guide

Members may like to listen to the following series of talks.

Simon Russell Beale presents a radical reappraisal of the place of the symphony in the modern world and explores the surprising way in which it has shaped our history and identity.

The first episode begins amidst the turmoil of the French Revolution with the arrival in England of Joseph Haydn, dubbed the 'Father of the Symphony'. It continues with Mozart, the genius who wrote his first symphony at the age of eight, and Beethoven, the revolutionary who created the idea of the artist as hero and whose Eroica Symphony changed music for ever.

The music is performed by the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment, conducted by Sir Mark Elder.

Broadcast on
    BBC Four, 8:00PM Sun, 6 Nov 2011
    Available until
    10:49PM Fri, 2 Dec 2011
    First broadcast
    BBC Four, 9:00PM Thu, 3 Nov 2011
    Categories
    Signed, Factual, Arts, Culture & the Media, Music, Classical Duration
    60 minutes
    Available versions
    Sign languageCredits
    Last edited by Megan; 11-10-2011, 04:31 AM.
    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Yes thanks for posting the links so those outside the UK can watch. This is the series referred to in Michael's BBC4 thread. The snippets of music are superbly played, but we could have done with more and really each composer warrants a lot more more time!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Yes thanks for posting the links so those outside the UK can watch. This is the series referred to in Michael's BBC4 thread. The snippets of music are superbly played, but we could have done with more and really each composer warrants a lot more more time!
      I agree Peter, I think the talks are a bit lightweight with very little time spent on each composer, they could have been much beefier. Though I think it would be a great idea to introduce these talks in schools.

I did find intriguing the anecdote about Beethoven weeping during an 1808 performance of Haydn's "Creation". I wonder how much of the music he could actually hear. Or was he crying becasue he could'nt hear the performance?
      ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

I think the BBC Radio links can easily be accessed outside the UK but the television programmes are not available even in Ireland which is very annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
          I did find intriguing the anecdote about Beethoven weeping during an 1808 performance of Haydn's "Creation". I wonder how much of the music he could actually hear. Or was he crying becasue he could'nt hear the performance?
          I don't think his hearing was too bad in 1808 otherwise he wouldn't have been able to conduct that massive concert in December, which, incidentally, is being re-created again on BBC Radio 3 next Tuesday (15th November) at 2 pm. He did make a mess of the Choral Fantasia but that was because he forgot to omit a repeat (or something).

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
            I agree Peter, I think the talks are a bit lightweight with very little time spent on each composer, they could have been much beefier. Though I think it would be a great idea to introduce these talks in schools.

The performance of the Creation at the Old university hall on 27th March 1808 was Haydn's last public appearance and he had to be carried out after the first half - it was this I think that would have caused the Beethovian tears to flow! The event is depicted in the famous box-cover painting (stolen and missing since 1945) by the miniaturist Balthasar Wigand.

'Man know thyself'

Comment

Can you spot Beethoven in this picture?
              (You could use this for your next Teaser, Peter!)

Comment

It is a lovely painting depicting Haydn, who we have to say was both a great composer and a great man. Sad to think the painting is still missing , because a lot of stuff went missing in the war, like the Amber Room.
                I have always been fascinated by what was the nature of the real 'relationship between Beethoven and Haydn. I don't know whether there has been any recent scholarship on that. Beethoven respected and admired Haydn we know, and Haydn was deeply impressed with Beethoven's abilities. But I get the sense that Haydn always had this pang of sadness towards the very end of his life when he thought about the way the world was changing around him, the ancien regime was collapsing, and in so many ways , Beethoven represented all of this, being the 'new' man for a new era.

Michael's question, can we spot Beethoven in the painting?
                I would like to think that is him 3rd from the left in the foreground with his back turned to us, wearing a long blue frock coat , which I think he had a blue one whilst out and about carrying his journals with him.

Comment

I bought a book back in 1968 (!) with that picture in it and the caption under it read something like: "Beethoven congratulates Haydn on the performance of the "Creation". I always thought Beethoven might be the fellow in the darker blue coat - standing on his own slightly more to the right of your choice, Megan. Who knows. Maybe he was skulking at the back.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    I bought a book back in 1968 (!) with that picture in it and the caption under it read something like: "Beethoven congratulates Haydn on the performance of the "Creation". I always thought Beethoven might be the fellow in the darker blue coat - standing on his own slightly more to the right of your choice, Megan. Who knows. Maybe he was skulking at the back.

Funny you mentioned that Michael, my husband also agrees with your choice.
                    It is such a very moving scene.

Comment

Could the man with the stick be Prince Lobkowitz?
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Well I watched last night's programme and unfortunately I thought if anything it was worse than the first one. It's been so poorly edited that he's talking about one composer whilst we're listening to another. I thought the comments were so clichéd and disjointed, nor does Beale really engage as a presenter, despite his obvious passion for the music. Worst of all was that limp performance of the March to the Scaffold! Oh dear - can I force myself to watch next weeks? Probably!
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                        X