Looking for the 9 Symphonies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for the 9 Symphonies!

I would like some information on purchasing the complete Symphonies. I already have a set by the South German Philharmonic Orchestra and some by the Radio Symphony Orchestra which I purchased some years ago.
    I'm thinking perhaps Chicago Symphony which is quite good or the Vienna Philharmonic.
    More suggestions? Thanks!
    'Truth and beauty joined'

How about the Chamber orchestra of Europe/Harnoncourt (Teldec 2292-46452-2)

If you want period instruments I recommend Franz Brüggen and the Orchestra of the 18th century (Philips)

Here are a couple of reviews to convince you of the Harnoncourt!

"This is a version of greater stature than any which have crowned the dispensable recent cycles on DG, EMI or CBS/Sony. Harnoncourt, more than any other conductor, relates this work more closely to its predecessors, and for this reason his cycle has an organic integrity almost unmatched on record. Each symphony leads inevitably to the next.

In almost every aspect I regard this as the most Beethovenian set of the symphonies currently available, one whose thrilling immediacy is enhanced by awareness that a live audience is hanging on every note. I can't imagine it will be bettered in the near future."

Hugh Canning
    Sunday Times, December 1991

"A new Beethoven cycle which manages to combine the shock of the new with an uncanny sense of familiarity. Harnoncourt doesn't pretend that what he offers is Beethoven as the composer imagined it. With the exception of the trumpets, the instruments are all modern, and while phrasing, rhythmic articulation, expression and balance reveal Harnoncourt's rigorous and passionate pursuit of historical truth, the results neither sound nor feel like anything offered under that banner before. Right from the start - the slow introduction to the First Symphony - the feeling that emerges through the finely differentiated phrasing is surprising in its intensity.

So why 'familiarity'? Because listening to this set I was reminded over and over again how exciting it was to discover Beethoven's symphonies for the first time - I'm not exaggerating. Harnoncourt's achievements can be near-miraculous. I was repeatedly impressed by the way the COE not only take on board Harnoncourt's ideas but give expression to them so naturally. This must be one of the most exciting, challenging Beethoven releases to appear in many years. In short, one of the most consistently inspiring and exciting to have appeared in many years which is sure to set new standards of Beethoven performance on record."

Stephen Johnson
    Gramophone, November 1991/November 1992

------------------
    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 10-03-2001).]
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

After that recommendation how can I refuse?!
      HarnonCourt it is! Thanks much for all the information!

Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:

After that recommendation how can I refuse?!
        HarnonCourt it is! Thanks much for all the information!

Joy
        Indeed, the Harnoncourt does sound interesting. I have neither his nor the Brueggen myself, and am curious about period instrument recordings.

However. I have recently picked up the Szell/Cleveland cycle from the late 50's and
        early 60's. The entire cycle for <$30 via http://shopping.yahoo.com/shop?d=c&cf=0&id=41107 (though I personally bought the 5 individual albums through AllDirect.com because I already had bought one individually). Highly, HIGHLY recommended for the price!

While not period instruments, and probably using overly large orchestration (anyone? yes/no?), these are very, very good recordings (seems hard to believe to me that these are as old as they are, in fact) of very, very good performances.

NP: Op. 68 from that very cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by NickB:
          Indeed, the Harnoncourt does sound interesting. I have neither his nor the Brueggen myself, and am curious about period instrument recordings.

However. I have recently picked up the Szell/Cleveland cycle from the late 50's and
          early 60's. The entire cycle for <$30 via http://shopping.yahoo.com/shop?d=c&cf=0&id=41107 (though I personally bought the 5 individual albums through AllDirect.com because I already had bought one individually). Highly, HIGHLY recommended for the price!

While not period instruments, and probably using overly large orchestration (anyone? yes/no?), these are very, very good recordings (seems hard to believe to me that these are as old as they are, in fact) of very, very good performances.

NP: Op. 68 from that very cycle.

That's my favorite set.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
            That's [Szell/Cleveland] my favorite set.

Whew! Glad to know I'm not alone in this!

I forgot to mention that I also have all the single album discs (i.e., all symphonies except 1 & 2) of the late-80's Chicago/Solti cycle. I thought they were GREAT at first, but now, I find myself amazed that I spent so much good money on them.

I hear that the earlier CSO/Solti cycle(s?) are good, though. Anyone?

My late-80's recordings are just disappointing all around in comparison to the Szell in particular. The recordings themselves are inferior: poor stereo separation, too much bottom-end, and the separation between instruments just isn't nearly as clear. And the performances...well...I won't go there.

However, the piano concerti with Ashkenazy/Solti/CSO (from the 60's/70's?) are everything the late-80's symphonies are NOT: Excellent, and a great bargain.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for all your help!!

Joy

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joy:
                [B]I would like some information on purchasing the complete Symphonies. I already have a set by the South German Philharmonic Orchestra and some by the Radio Symphony Orchestra which I purchased some years ago.
                I'm thinking perhaps Chicago Symphony which is quite good or the Vienna Philharmonic.
                More suggestions? Thanks!

Well, in the absence of Rodney, I have to say, Joy, Oh, GOD The Hanover Band. It is so fine and raw. And I think it cost me $29.00.

Suz

Comment

Originally posted by Suzie:
                  Well, in the absence of Rodney, I have to say, Joy, Oh, GOD The Hanover Band.
                  Mmm...seems like it was as good for you as it was for me...time for a cigarette...oh, I forgot, I don't smoke.

------------------
                  "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                  http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rod:
                    [B] Mmm...seems like it was as good for you as it was for me...time for a cigarette...oh, I forgot, I don't smoke.

Rodney! It was the best ever! I don't smoke either. Got any matches?

Comment

Working...
                    X