This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All dedicated to princesses:

No. 1 - Op. 7, La Stessa La Stessissima, Op. 15, Op. 34, 12 variations on a theme by Handel (Judas Maccabaeus), Op. 34, Op. 35, Op. 75, WoO 45, Op. 24, Op. 43, Op. 10 #3, Op. 83, Op. 27 #1, etc...?

Any luck?

Keep in mind, I know these by heart and memory, .
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
      All dedicated to princesses:

No. 1 - Op. 7, La Stessa La Stessissima, Op. 15, Op. 34, 12 variations on a theme by Handel (Judas Maccabaeus), Op. 34, Op. 35, Op. 75, WoO 45, Op. 24, Op. 43, Op. 10 #3, Op. 83, Op. 27 #1, etc...?

Any luck?

Keep in mind, I know these by heart and memory, .

Yes one of those is connected with the right answer!
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

N° 3 : something to do with that lock of Beethoven's hair snipped off by Ferdinand Hiller?
        Last edited by Quijote; 11-03-2011, 04:27 PM. Reason: Typo just noticed (of / off)

Comment

Well I think that's long enough!

'A little gem for this principalled lady.'

The 'Principalled lady' or the 'lady of the Principality' hinted at in a later clue is a reference to the principality of Liechtenstein. She is of course Princess Josephine Liechtenstein and the little gem is the delightful sonata Op.27/1 Beethoven dedicated to her.

'A small commission, thankfully salvaged.'

Small is Klein in German and refers to the bust commissioned by the piano manufacturer Streicher - Klein's preferred method of working was to take a life mask first but during the process Beethoven ripped off the plaster cast and it smashed into pieces - fortunately Klein salvaged it and it later formed the basis of the famous bust.
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

I thought this was just about people and pieces of music, not random objects

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
              I thought this was just about people and pieces of music, not random objects
              Not sure why you thought that - the only caveat is that there has to be a connection with Beethoven - in any case Klein was a person, all be it a small one!
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Whatever. Good teasers. I like this game. Eek pit up (anagram) !

Comment

Working...
                X