Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aaaaargh! Come on, Philip, Chris, Sorrano, Roehre, Joy, Meg, Hofrat, ......anyone! Only two to go!
    (My apologies to anyone omitted.)
    Don't let Peter get away with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      No nearer I'm afraid yet with these worthy attempts! I'm surprised that no.3 is causing such a problem - it will be obvious when you know the answer. The first one is admittedly more difficult and perhaps a little too vague so I'll give a further clue - for 'Principalled lady' you might also read 'lady of the Principality' which was my first idea, but I thought it too obvious and didn't use it!

Could the Lady be - Countess Erdody ?
      ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
        Could the Lady be - Countess Erdody ?
        No and there are no more clues coming - you've all had far too many already!!
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Aaaaargh! Come on, Philip, Chris, Sorrano, Roehre, Joy, Meg, Hofrat, ......anyone! Only two to go!
          (My apologies to anyone omitted.)
          Don't let Peter get away with it!
          Sorry Michael, I've been too busy this week to really give it much thought. I'll make a (poor) guess at No. 3, though:

Is it Symphony No. 4? It was a commission from Count Franz von Oppersdorff, and it was lucky to be salvaged, saved, from the Norse giants on either side, slender Greek maiden that it is!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            Sorry Michael, I've been too busy this week to really give it much thought. I'll make a (poor) guess at No. 3, though:

Is it Symphony No. 4? It was a commission from Count Franz von Oppersdorff, and it was lucky to be salvaged, saved, from the Norse giants on either side, slender Greek maiden that it is!
            Oh dear!
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

1) A little gem for this principalled lady.

Beethoven variations on God save the King ?

Another long shot.
              Last edited by Megan; 11-02-2011, 04:30 PM.
              ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Hm. How about the Op. 49 piano sonatas, then? Caspar van Beethoven salvaged them and had them published, against Ludwig's intentions. I don't really see how a commission would work into that, though...

Comment

Still off the mark I'm afraid!
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Hm...Op. 136, published only in 1837?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                      Hm...Op. 136, published only in 1837?
                      A further clue - no.3 isn't a piece of music at all!
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I swore a mighty and solemn oath that I wouldn't come back to this thread ........... but .........

Is No 3 the following (pasted):

August von Kloeber created two more portraits of Beethoven after that. One of it was an oil painting, which today is lost. It showed Beethoven together with his nephew out in the nature. A chalk drawing, which was created several years after the pencil drawing and which already idealizes Beethoven's depiction more, had been preserved. (Two more versions of this depiction had exist, but neither had they been preserved.)

In the 1840s, the Berlin lithographers Theodor Neu and Carl Fischer created several lithographs after this chalk drawing - while being supervised by the painter, as is explicitly said in the inscription of some prints. Thanks to the broad distribution of this lithographs, which had been copied by numerous artists in the 19th century, this portrait of Beethoven became especially popular. Kloeber's pencil drawing however, had not attracted a lot of attention until the 20th century.(S.B.)

© Beethoven-Haus Bonn
                        E-Mail: bibliothek@beethoven-haus-bonn.de

Comment

A noble effort Michael, but I'm afraid not right!
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

No. 1 - Opus 45...?
                            - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Oh the agony of it! I shall put you all out of your misery later today (earlier than originally planned) only to inflict another lot on you tomorrow!
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

No. 1 : WoO 51, dedicated to Eleonore von Breuning?

Comment

Working...
                                X