X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mozart's Eroica

I always wanted to hear this:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8LVbNqPFu8[/YOUTUBE]

Yes, the overture to Bastien und Bastienne, I believe. The first time I heard it I certainly did think of the Eroica!

Comment

Mozart almost got it right.

Comment

Yes the similarities are well known and it is extremely unlikely that Beethoven ever heard Mozart's earlier piece. This demonstrates quite clearly that it isn't so much the material but what a composer does with it.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Mozart certainly didn't hear Beethoven's version.

Anyway, there are only a limited number of tunes you can get from an E flat major arpeggio.

Last edited by Michael; 10-19-2011, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Mozart certainly didn't hear Beethoven's version.

Anyway, there are only a limited number of tunes you can get from an E flat major arpeggio.

I'd say it was pretty infinite when you consider western music was constructed from the scale and arpeggio (17th- 20th century). Just consider the last movt of the 6th symphony which sounds nothing like the Eroica but the theme is simarly based on an arpeggio pattern.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
              I'd say it was pretty infinite when you consider western music was constructed from the scale and arpeggio (17th- 20th century). Just consider the last movt of the 6th symphony which sounds nothing like the Eroica but the theme is simarly based on an arpeggio pattern.
              I stand corrected. Music is like a game of chess: hard to believe that the permutations can be almost infinite. Otherwise, we would have run out of tunes many centuries ago.

Comment

These tunes you're talking about : they all the sound the same to me.

Comment

Working...
                X