First Recordings!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Recordings!?

What symphony made the first recordings of Beethoven? Most likely would have been on Edisons phonograph. Also I was wondering when Beethoven was first heard in the US?

------------------
    'How can I, a musician, say to people "I am deaf!" I shall, if I can, defy this fate, even though there will be times when I shall be the unhappiest of God's creatures ... I live only in music ... frequently working on three or four pieces simultaneously.' - Ludwig van Beethoven

[This message has been edited by Zon (edited 10-05-2001).]
    "To play without passion is inexcusable!" - Ludwig van Beethoven

Good question ! I am unable to answer....

------------------
    Claudie
    Claudie

Comment

The first complete Beethoven symphony to be recorded was the Fifth, with the Berlin Philharmonic conducted by Arthur Nikisch. The recording was made in November 1913 and issued on four double-sided 78 rpm shellac records which were sold seperately. This meant that half-way through each movement, the record had to be turned over!
      There were severe limitations to orchestral recordings in those days. The size of the band could be no more than about forty and there still was an awful crush to get them close to the recording horn. There were some instruments that simply would not record - particularly lower strings, and these had to be re-assigned to trombones and tubas. The orchestra was effectively a brass band to which woodwind and a few violins had been added.
      I have a copy of this historic recording (on CD I hasten to add - not an original!) and while it is predictably dire by today's - and yesterday's - standards, quite an amount of the actual music gets through. The sound is so murky that no-one could tell whether or nor there were cellos and basses present.
      Not only was this the first Beethoven symphony to be recorded, but I think it was the first symphony, period.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
        The first complete Beethoven symphony to be recorded was the Fifth, with the Berlin Philharmonic conducted by Arthur Nikisch. The recording was made in November 1913..
        Michael
        I stumbled across this info by chance today and I can add one further minor academic point, namely that Nikisch at the age of 16 was a first violin at Wagner's 1872 production of the 9th at the Bayreuth.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
        X