Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare Beethoven works revisited - WoO 37

TRIO in G WoO.37 - (Bonn, 1786)

Scored for Piano (the autograph states clavicembalo), flute and bassoon.

This trio was written for Count Friedrich Von Wester-Holt-Gysenberg, whose daughter Maria was an excellent pianist and Beethoven's pupil. The count played the bassoon and his son Wilhelm, the Flute - so the family would have performed this trio together. According to his friend Bernhard Romberg, Beethoven was very much in love with Maria von Westerholt, but she was soon married to Baron Von Beverforde-Werries.

Beethoven would have been familiar with the music of Mozart during his early Bonn years, largely as a result of the Elector Maximilian Franz's enthusiasm for his music. This trio shows the influence of Mozart, Clementi and the highly regarded Franz Sterkel. The work is in 3 movements consisting of Allegro, Adagio and Thema andante con variazioni.

It is a remarkable fact that this piece is one of the few wind compositions by Beethoven with the original manuscript preserved - remarkable, as most of the Westerholt family music was destroyed in a fire. The trio was found amongst Beethoven's effects after his death and published posthumously, with the first edition not appearing until 1888.

If quoting this post in response, please edit out the Youtube links.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGPf6C_pZ5c[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T2G1VABNDc&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bswYaTapuIY&feature=fvwp&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]
    'Man know thyself'

The same three instruments (plus orchestra) are employed in the beautiful fragment, Hess 13, which is believed to be part of a lost concerto.

See Megan's post below.

Last edited by Michael; 10-13-2011, 07:57 PM. Reason: couldn't upload link

Comment

[QUOTE=Michael;53514]The same three instruments (plus orchestra) are employed in the beautiful fragment, Hess 13, which is believed to be part of a lost concerto.

I can't seem to upload the embedded link (I've read the instructions).

However, just type "Beethoven romance cantabile" into YouTube and that should find it.

Did you mean this one Michael?
      It sounds familiar, it is certainly a lovely piece.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOZcOtzEELs[/YOUTUBE]

🎹

Comment

Yes, that's it. Thanks, Megan.

B seems to have liked that combination of instruments.

Last edited by Michael; 10-13-2011, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Must have been quite a talented family - I know mine could never play something like this!

Comment

That's a very delightful work; I particularly like the theme and variations movement. Beethoven seemed to have a fondness for the flute when he was young.

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post

Did you mean this one Michael?
              It sounds familiar, it is certainly a lovely piece.

This is very nice; thank you for posting that!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                That's a very delightful work; I particularly like the theme and variations movement. Beethoven seemed to have a fondness for the flute when he was young.
                Yes and most of his chamber music for wind instruments dates from this early period. Having musicians such as Count Friedrich Von Wester-Holt-Gysenberg (who in addition to members of his family kept a band of musicians, mainly wind players) obviously provided the inspiration as performances were readily available.

Although Beethoven later was rather embarrassed by some of these early works, (especially the septet because of its popularity) they obviously served a purpose in his development as a composer.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

It's a pity that he'd be embarrassed by them; even geniuses must have starting points from which later works can be measured.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                    It's a pity that he'd be embarrassed by them; even geniuses must have starting points from which later works can be measured.
                    Well his embarrassment didn't stretch as far as money was concerned - as late as 1822 he tried to sell the variations on 'La ci darem la mano' WoO28.
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                      Well his embarrassment didn't stretch as far as money was concerned - as late as 1822 he tried to sell the variations on 'La ci darem la mano' WoO28.
                      It's funny how a little money can make things seem all right all of a sudden.

Listening to the trio gives me a sense of anticipation to when I'll be listening to the trios from the complete edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                        In fairness, his worries about money in those years were mainly on account of his nephew. He was very upset when he had to cash in some bank shares he had put away for Karl. He certainly wasn't living in luxury, as Rossini noticed when he spotted a hole in Beethoven's roof. Rossini had the decency to be ashamed that this "giant" was living in those conditions.

Beethoven was equally complimentary about Rossini when he said "a good kick in the arse would turn him into a great composer".
                        (Which was quite true and really complimentary especially as Rossini's laziness was well known.)

Comment

A bit off topic (but the "R" word has been mentioned!). I once played in a "baroque-cum-classical get up" for a certain city's tourist board (no names, no shame). We were a small string, wind + harpsichord ensemble in "authentic" garb. Lord, I felt smart (and the money wasn't bad, either). Anyway, one night we thought we'd play some Rossini. I can see (and hear) why Beethoven was so disdainful of this composer. Talk about "formula" music, or what !!!! Ah, but was it fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                            In fairness, his worries about money in those years were mainly on account of his nephew. He was very upset when he had to cash in some bank shares he had put away for Karl. He certainly wasn't living in luxury, as Rossini noticed when he spotted a hole in Beethoven's roof. Rossini had the decency to be ashamed that this "giant" was living in those conditions.

Beethoven was equally complimentary about Rossini when he said "a good kick in the arse would turn him into a great composer".
                            (Which was quite true and really complimentary especially as Rossini's laziness was well known.)
                            Absolutely, I wasn't blaming him, merely pointing out needs must!
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                            X