Rare Beethoven works revisited - WoO 63

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare Beethoven works revisited - WoO 63

In the "Dressler" Variations of 1782, WoO 63, Beethoven takes a simple, laborious C-minor march theme through nine variations. It is very remarkable that these earliest variations, the first published Beethoven work, would show all those traits that would become typical for him: the C minor key, the march rhythm, and also the variation form. An intensification of motion becomes apparent, at first in the 2nd variation, and with alternating use of the right and the left hand, which already appear united in virtuoso style in the 5th variation.

Inevitably primitive by his later standards, the "Dressler" Variations are impressive enough for an eleven-year old, through they hardly suggest the genial power he would develop in this genre within the next eight years, for example in the far more polished "Righini" Variations of 1790. What is surprising, however, is that more than twenty years later, in 1803, when he was in the flush of maturity and starting full-scale work on the Eroica Symphony, Beethoven agreed to a new edition of the "Dressler" Variations, with only some light improvements made by him or someone else.

If quoting this post in response, please edit out the Youtube link.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospXVaJHfSY&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
    'Man know thyself'

This is actually the earliest surviving work by Beethoven and I love that original march tune (laborious and all). It was very unusual at the time for a set of variations to use a tune in the minor key.
    It drags a bit because most of the variations are just embellishments but one of the recordings I have takes it at a very fast speed and makes it more urgent and it doesn't outstay its welcome.

Comment

Peter, I think I am enjoying the analysis and information in your postings more than the music!

Seriously though, the information is quite interesting. A few questions come to my mind based on what you have written.

One for an 11 year old, that piece does seem to have quite some depth? I wonder if it is because of this aspect that he did not really change the variations in 1803 (which is very interesting)? If not because of the depth of the variations, I wonder why he did not change them? Also, I did not know that was his first published work. Maybe a silly question, but why is there no Op. for these variations if they were published?

Keep the information coming, .

...would show all those traits that would become typical for him: the C minor key, the march rhythm, and also the variation form.
      That is interesting - this variation is certainly a special early work.
      Last edited by Preston; 10-08-2011, 04:09 PM.
      - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Yes - this really is the earliest known work by Beethoven. Biamonti gives it the number 1 in his extensive chronologically ordered catalog that includes even incomplete pieces and sketches! Very impressive for such a young age. I'm sure it's better than anything I've ever written!

Comment

That is a set I quite like; it's part of my complete variations and I've played through it. Sometime I would like to learn it.

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
            Peter, I think I am enjoying the analysis and information in your postings more than the music!

Seriously though, the information is quite interesting. A few questions come to my mind based on what you have written.

One for an 11 year old, that piece does seem to have quite some depth? I wonder if it is because of this aspect that he did not really change the variations in 1803 (which is very interesting)? If not because of the depth of the variations, I wonder why he did not change them? Also, I did not know that was his first published work. Maybe a silly question, but why is there no Op. for these variations if they were published?

Keep the information coming, .

That is interesting - this variation is certainly a special early work.
            Beethoven was not in the habit of reworking his earlier music (hence his reluctance with Fidelio) which is why the early piano sonatas were not revised at a later date either despite the extra range and capabilities of the piano available to Beethoven for his last sonatas.

Not all published music was assigned an opus number - Beethoven was one of the first composers I think to actively use this method to assign numbers to his works. Some of Haydn's music was published with Opus numbers but I think that was more the choice of the publisher than composer.
            The variations were not the only works from the Bonn years to be published but it wasn't until he moved to Vienna that he considered himself mature enough to dignify one of his pieces as Op.1 - the 3 piano trios. Further information on the use of Opus can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_number
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

May I ask who the pianist is?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                May I ask who the pianist is?
                You may but I'm afraid I don't know! The recordings represented here are not necessarily ones I would recommend but chosen because they are freely available on Youtube without any legal issues for this site. Personally I would prefer a fortepiano recording of these early works and Ronald Brautigam would be a good choice.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

The pianist could be Mikhail Pletnev as it sounds very like the version in the DGG Complete edition - and the timing is practically identical.
                  I can't play them side by side but a pianist would probably be able to agree or disagree very quickly.

Comment

I'm almost positive it is Pletnev.

Comment

Hmm, not bad little "Goldberg Variations" for a young boy of ten or so! Still, the seeds are there, are they not? I find the C minor march theme no more or no less laborious than the Diabelli.
                      There is some confusion about its publication, however. I always thought they were first engraved in Speyer (not a million miles from Mannheim).
                      Not relevant to this topic, but I live about 1'15" from Speyer / Mannheim, and they are both worth visiting.

Comment

PS : the picture in the first post above : wow, big eyes he had! Still, he looks like a happy little boy, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                          PS : the picture in the first post above : wow, big eyes he had! Still, he looks like a happy little boy, no?
                          Actually I think there is some doubt about the authenticity of that picture and likewise with the pictures of his parents.
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                            Hmm, not bad little "Goldberg Variations" for a young boy of ten or so! Still, the seeds are there, are they not? I find the C minor march theme no more or no less laborious than the Diabelli.
                            There is some confusion about its publication, however. I always thought they were first engraved in Speyer (not a million miles from Mannheim).
                            Not relevant to this topic, but I live about 1'15" from Speyer / Mannheim, and they are both worth visiting.
                            I'm not sure Philip, but the firm was Gotz (with umlauty thing on the o) of Mannheim.
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                            X