No announcement yet.

Rare Beethoven works revisited - WoO 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As for the Rondo, I again found it entirely in keeping with its time, and perhaps this movement is the most "juvenile" in the concerto. What I did find surprising were the passages à la hongroise : in B's Ninth the "Turkish" passage is also in B-flat major. Didn't Mozart also write a Turkish March (or two) also in B-flat major?
    But again, to conclude, a remarkable assimilation of style by such a young composer.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
      School's out for a week, so I've time to make some more comments. By way of preamble, I note Peter that you seem most keen to "debunk" Solomon at every opportunity. Why is this so, I wonder. I don't have Solomon to hand, but if you do, could you give a relevant quote from him about this WoO4?
      "formally diffuse and melodically uninteresting despite moments of folklike gaiety in the closing movement; although composed in emulation of the early classic style of J.C.Bach and the south Germans, it lacks their craftsmanship and elegance."

All his comments on the Bonn works (save the cantatas) have this negative slant, failing to take into account the age and lack of maturity that is inevitable for such a young composer.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
      X