Rare Beethoven works revisited - WoO 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare Beethoven works revisited - WoO 4

We featured many of these pieces several years back and inspired by Philip I think it is a good time to revisit them on a weekly basis with the aid of the Youtube facility that is now available. In any responses to these posts I'd be grateful if you didn't quote this original post as we end up with repeats of the same videos and this adds to the load time of the page.

The early piano concerto WoO 4

The music for this piece survives in the form of a hand-written (though unsigned) 32pp manuscript, with corrections by the author. The solo piano part is totally complete and also includes a piano transcription of the orchestral parts. The orchestral score itself, for flutes, horns and strings, is lost. This was a time before Beethoven had heard the likes of Mozart or Haydn, but instead had been exposed to J S Bach, the Mannheim school and no doubt the many local 'masters' residing around Bonn at this time. The music was found in 1890 in the archives of the Artaria Fund and was from there taken to the Berlin State library. It was published in the same year by Breitkopf und Hartel. Later, the famous Beethoven scholar Willy Hess took to the task of restoring the orchestral parts based on the piano score material. The result is an intelligent and disciplined assessment that manages to sound sufficiently 'Beethovenish' as a whole to be taken seriously. This version was first performed (last movement only) in 1934 in Oslo. The first performance of the complete concerto was in 1968 at the London Queen Elizabeth Hall. There are numerous recordings of the piece to be found on CD today.

Despite its early origins the music bristles with originality and contains many touching moments. The first movement is a substantial Allegro Moderato, and opens with a march like theme on the flutes and horns that is then taken up by the remainder of the orchestra. The piano then takes up the theme, which is then followed by a varied selection of more melodic material. Beethoven's capacity for grand and serious is evident in the development. The piano part itself is of considerable virtuosity and the original cadenza survives. Then follows a Larghetto of considerable beauty that contains some haunting passages. The central episode where the first theme is taken to dark and unforeseen vistas. The movement is quite unlike the slow movements of the 1st and 2nd Piano Concertos, indeed in many respects one could say the present movement is more original than those of these more mature works. The final Rondo is light hearted and entertaining but which also contains a contrasting intermezzo in the minor key 'all ungherese'.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PomqutCkk4w&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LVAI5s3P1M&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkR47ys6DRw&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
    'Man know thyself'

Good idea, Peter. This is certainly a piece worth revisiting. The thing that struck me first about it is how challenging it is, at least in places, for such an early piece. And I have read things by more than one professional pianist commenting on this as well. Young Beethoven was quite a virtuoso!

Comment

Yes this work is certainly testimony to his abilities not only as a composer but as pianist at an early age - how surprising that it is still so neglected, but the technical difficulties you refer to may account for this!
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

In the documentary "In Search of Beethoven", Ronald Brautigam candidly admitted that there were passages in this work that he just couldn't play.

It's a fascinating piece and I especially love the rondo in which Beethoven seems to have stolen the main theme from the 1950's movie musical "Calamity Jane".

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          We featured many of these pieces several years back and inspired by Philip I think it is a good time to revisit them on a weekly basis with the aid of the YouTube facility that is now available. In any responses to these posts I'd be grateful if you didn't quote this original post as we end up with repeats of the same videos and this adds to the load time of the page.
          I think one can quote the original posts, taking care to "edit out" the YouTube part, as I have done here.
          I have inspired you, Headmaster? I am flattered.
          Anyway, what a charming work! How old exactly was Beethoven when he composed it? I hear similarities with Clementi. I also have to say that I found the flutes overpowering, shrill even, though this may be due to the poor quality of my computer speakers. I'd be curious to know who were the players, conductor and soloist. Also, the instrumentation is very similar to what Haydn employs in his 'cello concertos (he adds an oboe). In your notes accompanying the YouTube extracts, you say that Beethoven wouldn't have heard any Mozart or Haydn at that time. Are you sure about that? I have no idea.
          Just to make sure I understand, you will post a rarely played work by Beethoven on a weekly basis? And then we comment on them? Sounds good to me!
          Last edited by Quijote; 10-06-2011, 04:35 PM. Reason: A little bit of editing

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
            I think one can quote the original posts, taking care to "edit out" the YouTube part, as I have done here.
            I have inspired you, Headmaster? I am flattered.
            Anyway, what a charming work! How old exactly was Beethoven when he composed it? I hear similarities with Clementi. I also have to say that I found the flutes overpowering, shrill even, though this may be due to the poor quality of my computer speakers. I'd be curious to know who were the players, conductor and soloist. Also, the instrumentation is very similar to what Haydn employs in his 'cello concertos (he adds an oboe). In your notes accompanying the YouTube extracts, you say that Beethoven wouldn't have heard any Mozart or Haydn at that time. Are you sure about that? I have no idea.
            Just to make sure I understand, you will post a rarely played work by Beethoven on a weekly basis? And then we comment on them? Sounds good to me!
            Inspired me - yes your posts always provide food for thought.

Indeed the Youtube videos can and should be edited out if quoting the original post. Beethoven was 13 when the concerto was written and at that time he had had little contact with the music of Haydn and Mozart, but that changed significantly actually that year 1784 with the accession of Maximilian Franz who was an ardent Mozart fan and actually wished him to be his kapellmeister - imagine that!! Don't forget the orchestration is not Beethoven's and yes I hope to present a new rarity on a regular basis for discussion and enlightenment!
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
              I think one can
              Anyway, what a charming work! How old exactly was Beethoven when he composed it? I hear similarities with Clementi.
              I think J.C.Bach was probably the model here - re-reading Solomon he is rather dismissive not only of this work, but most of the Bonn works except for the Cantatas - I aim to prove him wrong. This concerto is to my mind an exceptional achievement for a 13 year old and had it been by Mozart at the same age would have been acknowledged as such.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

In speaking of the orchestration, the flute has such a prominence that I am almost inclined to refer to this as a piano and flute concerto, but seriously, is this not a bit unusual for the time?

I've run across this before but it is always enjoyable to hear it again. Thanks for posting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                  In speaking of the orchestration, the flute has such a prominence that I am almost inclined to refer to this as a piano and flute concerto, but seriously, is this not a bit unusual for the time?

I've run across this before but it is always enjoyable to hear it again. Thanks for posting it.
                  Well even though the orchestration was reconstructed by Hess I believe it was based on Beethoven's original forces of strings, flutes and horns - this was possibly all that would have been available to him at the time if he wished for a local performance. Interestingly though he was of course criticised for over-doing the wind instruments in the first symphony as well. Also a lot of his early music is written for various combinations of wind instruments suggesting there must have been some fine players of these at Bonn!
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Ronald Brautigam also made a reconstruction of the orchestration for this piece, though I am not sure how it differs from the Hess reconstruction.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                      Ronald Brautigam also made a reconstruction of the orchestration for this piece, though I am not sure how it differs from the Hess reconstruction.
                      I wonder if he also modified the solo part to make it easier for him to play?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                        Well even though the orchestration was reconstructed by Hess I believe it was based on Beethoven's original forces of strings, flutes and horns - this was possibly all that would have been available to him at the time if he wished for a local performance. Interestingly though he was of course criticised for over-doing the wind instruments in the first symphony as well. Also a lot of his early music is written for various combinations of wind instruments suggesting there must have been some fine players of these at Bonn!
                        Today, the concept of "over-doing" the wind instruments is a bit odd. I do have to say that I particularly liked the flute scoring and felt that it went well with the piano part. I will have to listen to the 1st Symphony, again, and pay particular attention to the wind writing. When I've heard a piece so many times I find I miss more.

Comment

School's out for a week, so I've time to make some more comments. By way of preamble, I note Peter that you seem most keen to "debunk" Solomon at every opportunity. Why is this so, I wonder. I don't have Solomon to hand, but if you do, could you give a relevant quote from him about this WoO4?

Comment

But I don't need Solomon to make my own comments. Clearly, WoO4 is a youthful work, full of "padding" and passage work, and harmonically straightforward. Nevertheless, it is quite remarkable for a 13-year old!
                            In the first movement I believe I heard "traces" (listening forward via my time machine) of the 3rd piano concerto, especially in some the demanding "left-hand work". Also remarkable is its assimilation of the stylistic features of its time, though I remain slightly unconvinced by Hess's reconstruction of the orchestral score, in particular the prominence given to the flutes. Was Hess a flautist by any chance?

Comment

The 2nd movement is also a considerable achievement for one so young, though the prominence of the solo flute strikes me as something not-quite-Beethoven. Again, the harmonic plan is quite straightforward, with the usual expected foray into the G minor central section, though that it hardly a criticism.

Comment

Working...
                              X