No announcement yet.

Of Rings and Myths: Wagner and Shore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it may have not have been a composer. Nietzsche comes to mind but I cannot locate the exact quotation.

Comment

This might be related:

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws."
      - - - Charles Baudelaire (about Richard Wagner)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        I think it may have not have been a composer. Nietzsche comes to mind but I cannot locate the exact quotation.
        This was, in fact, Nietzsche, but the context is not exactly correct:

'I can perfectly well understand a musician of to-day who says: “I hate Wagner but I can endure no other music.” But I should also understand a philosopher who said, “Wagner is modernity in concentrated form.” There is no help for it, we must first be Wagnerites.… '

Source: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/25012...12-h.html#toc5

Comment

Actually, Nietzsche did compose music!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
            This was, in fact, Nietzsche, but the context is not exactly correct:

'I can perfectly well understand a musician of to-day who says: “I hate Wagner but I can endure no other music.” But I should also understand a philosopher who said, “Wagner is modernity in concentrated form.” There is no help for it, we must first be Wagnerites.… '

Source: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/25012...12-h.html#toc5
            That looks like it but, wherever I read it, the quote was given without any context. Reading it as above, it does change the sense somewhat.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
              I feel they are well orchestrated. No really, they are. I could also say they are excellent pastiche. Actually, I am a little bit jealous!
              Philip, have you listened to the first video all the way through? Did you enjoy the lament (the vocal soloist)?
              - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Working...
              X