Need name of background music piece in Immortal Beloved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need name of background music piece in Immortal Beloved

There's this scene in Immortal Beloved where Beethoven has just done something really nasty or mean, and he's sitting somewhere, and these little kids taunt him.

What's the music playing in the background? The words sound like "misere" and it is indeed meant to be a miserable scene.

I've searched high and low for that track and have been unsuccessful. It's not in the film's original sound track album. And it is not "Miserere" by Allegri or Gorecki or Desprez.

What is it then?

I am fairly certain it is the Agnus Dei from the Missa Solemnis - 1st mov.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFYB8ZRvtv4
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
      I am fairly certain it is the Agnus Dei from the Missa Solemnis - 1st mov.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFYB8ZRvtv4

I think you're right. Agnus Dei does contain the words "miserere nobis." The song Missa Solemnis does appear in the original sound track of Immortal Beloved, but, interestingly, the part where "miserere" is voiced is not included (or perhaps not so clear to me).

Thank you so much for the lead, the youtube link you pointed to is perfect. Just what I needed. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Comment

I checked the OST but there is only a listing for the Kyrie from the Missa Solemnis, not the Agnus Dei? They use the Kyrie near the beginning when they are taking Beethoven's corpse to the church.

Comment

Also, the 1st Agnus Dei is deep, so heavy it often hurts my soul to listen to it!

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
            I checked the OST but there is only a listing for the Kyrie from the Missa Solemnis, not the Agnus Dei? They use the Kyrie near the beginning when they are taking Beethoven's corpse to the church.
            Yes, you are right -- they do have Missa Solemnis in the OST, but not the part that includes Agnus Dei :-)

Comment

I think it's Bryn Terfel singing the bass part in that "Agnus Dei" segment of the film.

(Yes - I checked the "soundtrack" disc.) The most beautiful part of the whole mass.

Last edited by Michael; 09-26-2011, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the Beethoven Reference Site, Immortal Beloved

Out of the countless "Immortal Beloveds" on the www, which one are you?

xoxox

PHX
                "It was not the fortuitous meeting of the chordal atoms that made the world; if order and beauty are reflected in the constitution of the universe, then there is a God."

Comment

Originally posted by immortalbeloved View Post
                  There's this scene in Immortal Beloved where Beethoven has just done something really nasty or mean, -----.
                  Whaaat, Beethoven? You trying to burst my bubble?

Comment

Originally posted by Milanodan View Post
                    Whaaat, Beethoven? You trying to burst my bubble?
                    Yeah, you know ... Mean-n-dirty old fella getting return knockedn in a highly charged fictious flick--of couse he did, in the "Hollywood Sense"... Right, "Immortal Beloved"? (Elbow nudge, wink, wink)

Xoxox
                    Phx
                    "It was not the fortuitous meeting of the chordal atoms that made the world; if order and beauty are reflected in the constitution of the universe, then there is a God."

Comment

Working...
                    X