Desert Island Beethoven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desert Island Beethoven

Although we've had similar threads before and generally I'm not keen on 'favourites' I was recently looking at the BBC desert island archives and it was interesting to see the choices and who the people were making those choices - you can select just one composer and I was looking to see who had picked a Beethoven piece. Some of the choices were predictable 'Fur Elise' , 'Moonlight sonata' and quite frequently 'Ode to Joy' - it was refreshing to see though that many obviously had a wide knowledge of Beethoven.

My own top 8 Beethoven pieces which allows single movements rather than complete works:

Missa Solemnis - Gloria & Credo
    Symphony no.8 - finale
    String quartet Op.130
    Piano concerto no.4 - 1st movt
    Piano sonata in Bb Op.106 - 1st movt
    Fidelio - Finale
    Symphony no.3 - 2nd movt
    Piano sonata Op.111 - 2nd movt

Ask me again next week and the list would probably be quite different, although I think I've picked some of my consistent favourites.
    'Man know thyself'

Peter, your first selection includes two movements. I really have a difficult time trying to select favorites; there are too many of them. Perhaps I would be better off just with manuscript paper and create my own music.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
      Peter, your first selection includes two movements. I really have a difficult time trying to select favorites; there are too many of them. Perhaps I would be better off just with manuscript paper and create my own music.
      I know it does Sorrano - I'm allowing myself that freedom! Yes I agree it is a virtually impossible task (and perhaps pointless), but if you took it as meaning you're going on holiday next week and you can only take 8 Beethoven pieces with you. On the desert Island disk archive I noticed someone chose the 1st movt of the triple concerto - there's one for you Philip! The choice by one person of Fur elise I thought was sure to induce insanity within 2 days!
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

If I were going on a vacation I would select 8 Beethoven selections with which I was not very familiar. There are quite a few of them to chose from!

Comment

My 8 Beethoven movements:

Symphony No. 4 - First movement
          Symphony No. 9 - Fourth movement
          Piano Concerto No. 5 - First movement
          Grosse Fuge
          Violin Sonata No. 9 - First movement
          Piano Sonata Op. 53 - First movement
          Piano Sonata Op. 106 - Fourth movement
          Fidelio - Mir ist so wunderbar

Comment

Would have to include the final movement of Op 61 the Violin Concerto If videos were allowed this would have to be the live recording on YouTube with Joshua Bell and an unnamed orchestra, shot in the Far East, possibly Japan? I have watched this so many times and the sheer joyful thrill of his playing remains an overwhelming experience. Try as hard as I can though I just can't see a conductor in action - could he possibly be conducting himself ‘from the violin’ so to speak, like for example Barenboim from the piano in the five concerti?
            Love from London

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne View Post
              Would have to include the final movement of Op 61 the Violin Concerto If videos were allowed this would have to be the live recording on YouTube with Joshua Bell and an unnamed orchestra, shot in the Far East, possibly Japan? I have watched this so many times and the sheer joyful thrill of his playing remains an overwhelming experience. Try as hard as I can though I just can't see a conductor in action - could he possibly be conducting himself ‘from the violin’ so to speak, like for example Barenboim from the piano in the five concerti?
              Is this the one?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1ytfIArGt4[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Working...
              X