X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris View Post
    Haydn: 8 violin sonatas

These sonatas, contained in a single Peters edition volume are almost all arrangements of other Haydn works, such as piano sonatas and string quartets. Whether they are arrangements by Haydn himself, were approved by him, or were just done without his consent, no one seems to know. This recording by Elena Denisova and Alexei Kornienko is supposedly the first recording of them. All I know is, the lack of fortepiano here is sweet music to my ears.
    I am envious of your Haydn collection! He has always been one of my top pre-Beethoven composers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
      I am envious of your Haydn collection! He has always been one of my top pre-Beethoven composers.
      He has quickly become one of my favorites. A few years ago I knew very little of his music, but purchased the complete symphonies and piano trios on Peter's suggestion. Then with the Haydn year 2009 a lot of interesting Haydn recordings were released or re-released and I discovered so many great pieces that hardly anyone cares about now. Like the operas - the librettos may not be the most captivating, but the music is consistently outstanding! And his lieder - even better than Mozart's in my opinion. And all those wonderful folksong arrangements; if Beethoven's are neglected, Haydn's are criminally so. Before I knew it I had collected nearly everything in the Hoboken catalog. It seems there are some arias and small church works that have not been recorded or I simply haven't found, but other than that I have made a pretty complete survey of Haydn's works, and I am amazed by his consistently excellent output. He is second only to Beethoven in this regard, I think.

Comment

He has quickly become one of my favorites. A few years ago I knew very little of his music, but purchased the complete symphonies and piano trios on Peter's suggestion. Then with the Haydn year 2009 a lot of interesting Haydn recordings were released or re-released and I discovered so many great pieces that hardly anyone cares about now. Like the operas - the librettos may not be the most captivating, but the music is consistently outstanding! And his lieder - even better than Mozart's in my opinion. And all those wonderful folksong arrangements; if Beethoven's are neglected, Haydn's are criminally so. Before I knew it I had collected nearly everything in the Hoboken catalog. It seems there are some arias and small church works that have not been recorded or I simply haven't found, but other than that I have made a pretty complete survey of Haydn's works, and I am amazed by his consistently excellent output. He second only to Beethoven in this regard, I think.
        What exposure I've had to Haydn, mostly Symphonies and piano music is certainly consistent with your assessment. If it weren't so costly I'd be getting what I can of the complete works. Any particular set that you might recommend?

Comment

(...) He is second only to Beethoven in this regard, I think.
          And IMO most likely superior to Mozart, therefore, an opinion I wholeheartedly share (with a slight proviso re the operas, but that is not due to the music, but -as you rightly point out, Chris- to the libretti)

Comment

Today:

Rautio:
            Piano concerto No.2 (1971) (R3: TtN)
            (a very eclectic but immensely enjoyable concerto with a couple of intelligently done tongue-in-cheek moments. And: certainly not its first broadcast in TtN, btw)

De Victoria:
            Magnificat primi Toni a 4 (1574)
            Beata es
            Missa De Beata Maria Vergine
            Ave maria
            (1572)
            Gaude maria virgo
            Sancta Maria

Comment

Yesterday I caught a bit of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Variations on Ah! vous dirai-je, Maman K 265.

This morning it was Dohnnyi's (sorry for spelling; the lister on the radio station is buggy) variations on the same theme.

Comment

Yesterday I caught a bit of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Variations on Ah! vous dirai-je, Maman K 265.

This morning it was Dohnanyi's (sorry for spelling; the lister on the radio station is buggy) variations on the same theme.
                I especially like that tongue-in-cheek grandiose bloated introduction of dohnanyi's piece, followed by the theme played on the solo piano

Comment

Today:

JSBach:
                  Cantatas BWV 19, 50, 130 and 149 for today ( St.Michael’s )

Rheinberger:
                  Piano sonata in D-flat major op.99
                  Prelude and Fugue for concert performance op.33

Comment

This evening:

Rheinberger: Organ Concerto No. 1

(Roehre, your own lists caught my eye as you have been listening to several of this composer's pieces. I looked him up on youtube and this was the first thing I found.)

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                      Re Haydn:
                      And IMO most likely superior to Mozart, therefore, an opinion I wholeheartedly share (with a slight proviso re the operas, but that is not due to the music, but -as you rightly point out, Chris- to the libretti)
                      Regarding Haydn's comparatively lower profile, somebody once said that he had the misfortune not to die young or go deaf.

Comment

This evening:

Rheinberger: Organ Concerto No. 1

(Roehre, your own lists caught my eye as you have been listening to several of this composer's pieces. I looked him up on youtube and this was the first thing I found.)
                        It's a nice concerto, Sorrano, but I think you will have discovered too, why Rheinberger isn't as famous as e.g. Brahms: very well academically trained, good and well shaped themes, but rather less than genial exploration and development of this material, and particularly rhythmically rather dull, monotonous music.

Nevertheless an interesting composer, as he got his own style (eventually...)

Comment

Today:

Gallus:
                          Missa super Sancta Maria (1580)

Berio:
                          Sequenza V (trombone-solo, 1965)

Xenakis:
                          Keren (trombone-solo; 1986)
                          Nomos alpha (cello solo; 1965)

Ligeti:
                          San Francisco Polyphony (1973)

Zimmermann:
                          Photoptosis (1968)
                          Knew Ligeti Zimmermann’s piece by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                            It's a nice concerto, Sorrano, but I think you will have discovered too, why Rheinberger isn't as famous as e.g. Brahms: very well academically trained, good and well shaped themes, but rather less than genial exploration and development of this material, and particularly rhythmically rather dull, monotonous music.

Nevertheless an interesting composer, as he got his own style (eventually...)
                            I did rather enjoy the work, but I do have to agree with you so far. Your lists are absolutely fantastic as springboards to discovering new composers and new music and I appreciate that very much!

Comment

You're very welcome, Sorrano

Comment

Rachmaninov Symphonic dances - amazing!
                                Mahler symphony no.1
                                BPO/Rattle shown on BBC 4.
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X