This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris View Post
    There are violin and cello versions of the WoO 27 duos too. Authentic or not, I like them.
    And there are violin and bassoon recordings of them.
    And I do like them very much as well.

they might be spurious (the DGG complete Edition doesn't contain them for that reason), as there is only one contemporary Paris edition from IIRC 1812, and there aren't any traces of these to be found among any of the sketches. But as they seem to be known to Beethoven and he didn't protest, which seem to confirm his authorship (the same applies to the flute sonata WoO Anhang 4, found among Beethoven's papers after his death).

Comment

There are violin and cello versions of the WoO 27 duos too. Authentic or not, I like them.
      Oh, yes - I forgot that I have them too. I must play them more often. I think the original arrangements (cello, bassoon) were part of the accepted canon until a few years back.
      "The Beethoven Compendium" says: Accepted as authentic in Kinsky, 1955, but listed as "probably spurious" in Kerman, 1983.

Those works are the very last substantial pieces by B (or not by B) that I have come across.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
        ........(the same applies to the flute sonata WoO Anhang 4, found among Beethoven's papers after his death).
        I must dig that out too. Thanks for reminding me. I'm afraid I am inclined to overlook anything that smells slightly spurious. (Is that snobbery?)

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
          And there are violin and bassoon recordings of them.
          And I do like them very much as well.
          Really? That's kind of odd.

Anyway, today:

Beethoven: Clarinet Trio, Op. 38
          Ries: Clarinet Trio, Op. 28

You know, I have heard relatively little of Ries's work, but I always like it a lot when I do.

Comment

This evening:

Wagner: Prelude to Parsifal (Levine)
            Bruckner: Finale of 3rd Symphony (Tintner, original version)

Note on the Bruckner: I would love to have heard Jochum conduct this version. I had some doubts about it until the coda and that was quite the head rush! At this point I'm not sure which I prefer; the original feels rough and jagged, not unlike the first time I heard Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain, original version--but that grew on me until it's pretty much the only one I care to listen to. I will have to spend some time with the Jochum version.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
              This evening:

Wagner: Prelude to Parsifal (Levine)
              Bruckner: Finale of 3rd Symphony (Tintner, original version)

Note on the Bruckner: I would love to have heard Jochum conduct this version. I had some doubts about it until the coda and that was quite the head rush! At this point I'm not sure which I prefer; the original feels rough and jagged, not unlike the first time I heard Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain, original version--but that grew on me until it's pretty much the only one I care to listen to. I will have to spend some time with the Jochum version.
              I think this is a problem that will always be with us, Sorrano. Let's just accept that there are 3 versions, and take our pick (or even enjoy all of them for their respective merits and drawbacks). Of course, we all would like to have the final definitive version (as Beethoven kindly obliges us), but with Bruckner this just is never going to happen!
              Last edited by Quijote; 09-20-2011, 02:13 PM. Reason: Silly typo.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                I think this is a problem that will always be with us, Sorrano. Let's just accept that there are 3 versions, and take our pick (or even enjoy all of them for their respective merits and drawbacks). Of course, we all would like to have the final definitive version (as Beethoven kindly obliges us), but with Bruckner this just is never going to happen!
                It's not so much I am looking for Bruckner's definitive version, but rather for myself, but as you wisely put it, we can enjoy all three versions for what they are. The other versions now feel like they are rushed after hearing the mammoth 1st version. It gives me a sense of completeness.
                Last edited by Sorrano; 09-20-2011, 07:07 PM. Reason: Some typos are not silly. They are devious and sly.

Comment

Some music for two horns today:

Beethoven - Sextet, Op. 81b
                  Rejcha - Concerto for two horns and orchestra, Op. 5
                  Rossler-Rosetti - Concertos for two horns and orchestra Nos. 3 and 5
                  Pokorny - Concerto for two horns, harpsichord, and orchestra
                  Fiala - Concerto for two horns and orchestra No. 1
                  Haydn - Concerto for two horns and orchestra (I think this is one of those spurious works - still good, though)
                  Hanisch - Concerto for three horns, timpani, harpsichord, and orchestra

Every single piece on these two CDs is in E-flat major - my ear could use a new key now.

Comment

Every single piece on these two CDs is in E-flat major - my ear could use a new key now.
                    How about C Minor? That should be different!

Comment

Today:

Brian:
                      The Cenci: Preludio tragico (1952) (R3: Ao3)

Pipelare (c1450-c1515)
                      Vray Dieu d’Amours (1502)
                      Een vrolic Wesen
                      Fors seulement
                      (1502)
                      Salve Regina
                      Memorare Mater Christi

Missa l’Homme armé (p.1516)

Rheinberger:
                      Jagd Szene WoO 1 (p.1877)
                      Waldmärchen opus 8 (versions 1866 and 1897)

Holliger:
                      Induuchlen (2004)

Comment

Beethoven - Sextet, Op. 81b
                        Rejcha - Concerto for two horns and orchestra, Op. 5
                        Rossler-Rosetti - Concertos for two horns and orchestra Nos. 3 and 5
                        Pokorny - Concerto for two horns, harpsichord, and orchestra
                        Fiala - Concerto for two horns and orchestra No. 1
                        Haydn - Concerto for two horns and orchestra (I think this is one of those spurious works - still good, though)
                        Hanisch - Concerto for three horns, timpani, harpsichord, and orchestra

Try doubling up with the Schumann Konzertstuck in F for 4 horns!
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Listening to Beethoven Cello sonatas Op.102.
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

This morning:

Schubert: Arpeggione Sonata in A, D821 (arranged for Oboe)

Comment

Today:

Kopitz:
                              Herbst-Musik (2 guitars) (1985/’86)

Chaminade:
                              Automne (violin & orchestra)

Raff:
                              Symphony no.10 in f op.213 “Zur Herbstzeit” (1879/’81)

Bruckner:
                              Stille Betrachtung an einem Herbstabend WAB 123 (1863)

Enescu:
                              Voix de la Nature (Nuages d'automne sur les forets) (1935)

Alwyn:
                              Autumn Legend (1954)

Musgrave:
                              Autumn Sonata (1993)

Brumel:
                              Missa Et ecce Terrae motus (p.1502)

Comment

listening to and looking into some Joaqhin Rodrigo pieces. any suggestions?
                                - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Working...
                                X