Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well thank you very much, Megan! I have to work now (yawn), but I'll check it out later this evening. Thanks again.
    Yours,
    A Neanderthal

Comment

From a complete novice.

I not a listener of Birtwistle normally, but I must say I am glad I listened to this concerto for violin & orchestra, and found it interesting.
      I loved the way the violin interacted with the orchestra.
      Last edited by Megan; 09-08-2011, 03:15 PM.
      ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Today:

Escher:
        Musique pour l’Esprit en Deuil (1943)

Britten:
        Sinfonia da Requiem op.20 (1940)

De Victoria:
        Missa pro Defunctis
        Libera me
        Peccantem me
        Credo quod Redemptor
        (all p.1583)

Berg:
        Violin concerto (1935)

Boulez:
        Rituel (1975)

Comment

As I have said, yes I have problems with understanding many pieces of classical music. Though, after all this time (years upon years), I have seen what I was doing wrong - simply - I was listening to what I felt was great, good, and right and, in some sense, considered my music abilities above other peoples who did not like classical - I was a prick in the musical sense and a musical snob.

Now, after listening to Beethoven's Moonlight I am listening to Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain then to some music I like very much and always have - Guns and Roses (Civil War, Don't Cry, November Rain, Patience), Pearl Jam (Yellow Ledbetter), Pink Floyd (Great Gig in The Sky), The Lion King (Circle of Life, This Land), Titantic (various songs), Nirvana (various songs), Metallica (Nothing Else Matters), ETC.
          - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
            As I have said, yes I have problems with understanding many pieces of classical music. Though, after all this time (years upon years), I have seen what I was doing wrong - simply - I was listening to what I felt was great, good, and right and, in some sense, considered my music abilities above other peoples who did not like classical - I was a prick in the musical sense and a musical snob.

Now, after listening to Beethoven's Moonlight I am listening to Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain then to some music I like very much and always have - Guns and Roses (Civil War, Don't Cry, November Rain, Patience), Pearl Jam (Yellow Ledbetter), Pink Floyd (Great Gig in The Sky), The Lion King (Circle of Life, This Land), Titantic (various songs), Nirvana (various songs), Metallica (Nothing Else Matters), ETC.
            No I don't regard your exploration of Classical music as making you a musical snob - actually from my experience it is usually the other way round - I've often experienced violent hatred and intolerance of CM (not to say ridicule) from people I thought were friends! You have had the intelligence to explore and you have found that much of CM isn't for you which is perfectly fine - listen to what you like. However tastes change and you may find in years ahead you come back to some of the pieces you find difficult now.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Mozart - Piano trios K, 564 and K 542. Also K 10-15 played as piano trios. I like those pieces in this form, and I'm surprised they are not recorded with cello more often. I've never seen all of them recorded with piano, flute, and cello, in fact. This recording is by the Arista Trio, and it is very enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                No I don't regard your exploration of Classical music as making you a musical snob - actually from my experience it is usually the other way round - I've often experienced violent hatred and intolerance of CM (not to say ridicule) from people I thought were friends! You have had the intelligence to explore and you have found that much of CM isn't for you which is perfectly fine - listen to what you like. However tastes change and you may find in years ahead you come back to some of the pieces you find difficult now.
                Preston, I share Peter's opinion 100%.

Comment

Today:

Aulin:
                  Violin Concerto No.3 in C minor opus 14 (1896)(R3:TtN; a recording IMO unfit for broadcasting due to the noises [squeaking chairs?] from within the orchestra)

da Madre de Deus:
                  Antonya Flaciquia Gasipa – Negro de Navidad (c.1680)

Holliger:
                  Ma’mounia (2000/’02)

Comment

Arcangelo Corelli — Violin sonata in D minor Op.5 No.12 "La Folia"
                    Performer: Elizabeth Wallfisch (violin) Performer: Richard Boothby (viola da gamba) Performer: Robert Woolley (harpsichord)

Franz Liszt — Grand galop chromatique in E flat
                    Performer: Lang Lang (piano)

Ludwig van Beethoven — Egmont overture
                    Performer: Chamber Orchestra of Europe Performer: Nikolaus Harnoncourt (conductor)
                    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

BOCCHERINI: String Quintet Op. 30 No. 6 in C major (Quintettino), G324 'La musica notturna delle strade di Madrid; Quintet No. 4 in D G448 'Fandango'; String Quintet Op. 11 No. 5 in E major, G275; String Quartet in G minor, Op. 32 No. 5
                      Cuarteto Casals, Eckart Runge (cello), Carles Trepat (guitar), Daniel Tummer (castanets)
                      Harmonia Mundi HMC902092 (CD)

FLORENT SCHMITT: La Tragédie de Salomé, Op. 50; Le Palais hanté, Op. 49; Psaume 47, Op. 38
                      Susan Bullock (soprano), São Paulo Symphony Orchestra and Choir, Yan Pascal Tortelier (conductor)

Comment

Today:

Music form the court of King Janus at Nicosia (1374-1432)
                        (Cypriot manuscript National Library Turin J.II.9/ Huelgas Ensemble)

Sibelius:
                        Violin concerto op.47 (R3: DM)
                        3 Humoresques from op.69 (R3)

Maxwell Davies:
                        Musica Benevolens (R3: LNOTP)

Bartok:
                        The Miraculous Mandarin – suite (R3: LNOTP)

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                          Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                          Preston, I share Peter's opinion 100%.
                          Thank you Peter and Roehre. It is a touchy subject and very confusing for me. I am somewhat lost regarding this - though we all are at times and perhaps more. Though Peter you said it right:
                          listen to what you like
                          That is the key. And something I will and anyone else will hopefully stay true to.

Comment

Today:

De Victoria:
                            Missa pro Victoria (p.1600)
                            Veni Sante Spiritus (p.1600)
                            Psalm 137 Super Flumina Babylonis (p.1576)

Bridge:
                            Isabella H.78 (1907) (R3: Proms repeat)

Birtwistle:
                            Violin concerto (2010) (R3: Proms repeat)

Strauss:
                            Tod und Verklärung op.24 (R3: DM)
                            Vier letzte Lieder (R3: DM)
                            Is it sheer coincidence that the last broadcast of Discovering Music before its discontinuation is about the Four last Songs (and Death and Transfiguration on 9/11)?

Sweelinck:
                            Psalms 122, 42, 43, 108, 23, 137, 110 and 99 (p.1604/’14)
                            7 Cantiones sacrae 5 Vocum (1619)
                            Last edited by Roehre; 09-12-2011, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Vivaldi
                              L’Olimpiade RV 725 (Sinfonia)
                              Orfeo 55
                              Nathalie Stutzmann [director]

Chopin
                              Nocturne Op 27 no 2
                              Maria Joao Pires [piano]

Comment

Back to Mozart's opera overtures. Listening to the overture to The Marriage of Figaro.

Chris, indeed! - He runs those strings, from low to high. In the part I'm thinking of I love how he he works them so well and then comes off with the violins just doing a tremolo (keeping somekind of beat I think) - notice the just, !

I needed this overture tonight. It picks me up and has been quite enjoyable. Also, I think it could be far more serious then I hear it. I imagine it is, though am not sure?

Comment

Working...
                                X