Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the information Chris. That is good to know seeing as I have been wanting to get some of Mozart's PC's and I would like to have the 20th with the cadenzas by Beethoven. I will order the 20th tonight actually.

It seems or sounds to me, one thing about Beethoven's periods is the middle sounds more like the late than the middle sounding like the early, really to quite a degree too. The early, seems to me, to be much more fluffier and lighter, not near as much depth as the works of the middle, though there are some that I've heard. I don't know the exact reason of such a serious change from the early to the middle - though I like it. Yes, Beethoven had matured greatly, suffered far more, was going death, etc. Though it is like his entire self changed - for a large part, to me, between the early and the middle it sounds like an almost complete change of style or change of Beethoven's self and personality. Much deeper. It is like he found his true self and voice, in some way. One of the greatest gifts of all is to find yourself.

“To conquer oneself is a greater victory than to conquer thousands in a battle.” - Gautama Buddha
    That quote is deep, especially the analogy. And to conquer oneself is to find oneself, int the truest and most understanding of ways.
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

This morning:

Camille Saint-Saëns: Rhapsodie d'Auvergne

Mozart: Piano Quartet No. 1

Last night:

Beethoven: Scottish Songs (Until picking up that Brilliant set I had no idea he composed so many of these!)

Comment

A disc of vocal duets (Andrea Chudak, Holger Schumaker, Barbara Baun):

Monteverdi:
        Io son pur vezzosetta pastorella
        Ardo e scoprir
        Chioma d'oro
        Baci cari
        Dialogo di ninfa e patore
        O viva fiamma

Haydn:
        Saper vorrei se m'ami
        Guarda qui che lo vedrai

Wittemeier:
        Die Libelle

Stahli:
        Die Haushaltung
        Das Maskenschwein
        Motetto, als der erste Zahn da war

Schroter:
        Blumenhaus
        Lied im Mai
        Sommerierlein
        Liebesbote
        LaB rauschen
        Nesselkranz
        Hasel
        Aufmunterung

Also, a disc of Haydn arias "...composed for his secret love, the Italian soprano Luigia Polzelli." (Nuria Rial, Margot Oitzinger, L'Orfeo Baraockorchester/Michi Gaigg)

Sinfonia in G - Vivace
        Dica pure chi vuol dire
        Quando la rosa
        Singnor voi sapete
        Il meglio mio carattre
        La moglie quando e buona
        Vada adagio, signorina
        Sono Alcina
        La mia pace
        Infelice sventurata
        Via siate bonino
        Chi vive amante
        D'una sposa meschinella
        Son pietosa, son bonita

So first of all, most of these are not even established to have been written for Luigia Polzelli. Secondly, she was apparently a singer of limited talents, so that's not exactly a selling point. Thirdly, I'm not sure Haydn would appreciate marketing a disc of his music based on his extramarital affair with a woman who was herself married. The music and performances here are superb, but come on, record company guys

Comment

Chris, everyone likes a good scandal, you know. That's what sells! Are the Haydn arias on the Brilliant set? (I did get that in and am trying to decide where to start!)

Comment

I'm not sure, but I don't think so.

I'd start with some symphonies or string quartets. Or, if you're curious and you're an opera lover, one of the operas that are included.

Comment

It seems that whenever you hear Haydn on the radio that it's usually a symphony or a quartet. I've been listening a bit to the Beethoven Scottish/Welsh songs so maybe I will try Haydn's versions to start. but then I am very curious about the Operas.

Comment

The operas would be good, definitely. Or sure, why not pick something unusual and listen to the folksong settings? Another possibility would be the piano trios.

Comment

Just discovered and am listening to different Beethoven Piano Sonatas played by Glenn Gould. I absolutely love them. The tempos are glorious, imo. I have waited for something like this for a while.

To my understanding Gould was not a great admirer of Beethoven. Though, I tell you, I think Gould's brilliance and curiosity, enjoyment, questions, etc. shine in these recordings.

It seems? to me, a thing about the Beethoven's metronome markings is that they are the way he/Beethoven interpreted his music - and it is the right way for Beethoven. Though apparently not for me. It is hard for me to comprehend the music of Beethoven at his given tempo, I imagine because Beethoven's understanding of music is on a much higher level than mine. Though with Gould's tempos and his understanding and interpretation of Beethoven's music, I find much more enjoyment, .
                  - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Yesterday: Bruckner 6th Symphony, 2nd and 3rd movements.

Comment

Brahms Violin sonata in G Op.78

Inspired by the documentary on Rostropovich the other night:
                      Dvorak 'cello concerto
                      Schumann 'cello concerto
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

This morning:

Philipp SCHARWENKA: String Quartet in D, Op. 120

Comment

This morning:

Stravinsky: The Fairy's Kiss

Comment

Earlier today : LvB piano sonata n° 1 / Op. 2 (F minor). Two versions :
                            (a) Andras Schiff on a Bösendorfer (quite fast, quite elastic in tempo);
                            (b) Melvyn Tan on a period fortepiano (rather boringly metronomic ("tick-tock").

Comment

What I have missed tonight (with deep shame) : Bruckner's 5th played by the Strasbourg Philharmonic Orchestra here in the very city where I live and breathe! I cannot tell you how ashamed and sad I am to have missed this opportunity. In recompense, one of my students (studying for a Master's degree in performance - he's a conductor/pianist) who was there took the time to give me his feedback. He found it overwhelming, though remains critical of the conductor who gave vague indications that (he feels) lead to imprecision in the execution. I must admit to a certain satisfaction with this rather brilliant student who was not at all familiar with this Austrian master and who I managed to "turn on" to his (Bruckner's) charms. I believe I have made yet another convert. I will give you his name once he has established himself professionally.
                              Last edited by Quijote; 10-14-2011, 11:47 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Now that would really bum me out, Philip! Good job on the conversion, though. I've been listening to the 6th Symphony (movement at a time, trying to get a good feel for the work) and will be ready for the 5th. After having listened to it several times previously I still feel quite overwhelmed by it!

Comment

Working...
                                X