• Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you listening to now?

Today:

Holliger:
    Induuchlen (2004)

JSBach:
    Cantata “Herr Jesu Christ, du höchstes Gut” BWV 113 (one of the cantatas for today, Trinity 11)

Oehms CD Renaissance am Rhein (Renaissance in the Rhineland, 16th C)
    Works by De lattre, Zangius, Pervernage, Hagius, De Cleve, Peudargent, Mangon and Di Lasso

From Holst's The Planets: Saturn, Uranus, Mercury
    Beethoven's Missa Solemnis/LSO Colin Davis - last night's prom!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

On a bright autumnal morning.

Ludwig van Beethoven — Piano sonata No.8 in C minor "Pathetique": Adagio cantabile
      Performer: Alfred Brendel (piano)

George Frideric Handel — Let the bright seraphim (Samson)
      Performer: Sandrine Piau (soprano) Performer: Accademia Bizantina Performer: Stefano Montanari (conductor)

Gilbert & Sullivan — The Mikado - overture
      Performer: New Symphony Orchestra of London Performer: Isidore Godfrey (conductor)

Franz Schubert — String Quartet in D minor D810 "Death and the Maiden": Finale
      Performer: Emerson String Quartet
      ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Today:

Braunfels:
        Fantastic Appearances of a Theme of Hector Berlioz: extracts (R3: Proms)

Beethoven:
        Piano Concerto No. 4 in G major op.58 (R3: Proms)

De Victoria:
        Missa Magnum Mysterium (1572?)

Comment

Clement's violin concerto in D - this work was premiered at the Theater an der Wien, along with the first public performance of the Eroica symphony on April 7th 1805. The concerto was warmly received by the critics, but the symphony..!!
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Claude Debussy — String Quartet
            Performers: Quartetto Italiano

Manuel de Falla — Nights in the Gardens of Spain
            Performers: Margaret Fingerhut (piano), London Symphony Orchestra, Geoffrey Simon (conductor)

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart — Die Zauberflote - Die Holle Rache
            Performers: Cyndia Sieden (soprano), The English Baroque Soloists, John Eliot Gardiner (conductor)

Walter Braunfels — Die Vogel - Vorspiel und Prolog
            Performers: Nightingale: Hellen Kwon (soprano), Deutsches Sinfonie-Orchester, Lothar Zagrosek (conductor)

Frédéric Chopin — Barcarolle in F sharp minor Oop.60
            Performers: Stephen Hough (piano
            ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Mozart Overtures to "La finta semplice" and "La finta giardiniera".

Mozart/Harris: Don Giovanni Suite

Comment

Today:

Holliger:
                Toronto Excercises (2005)
                Ma’mounia (2002)

Flecha (el Viejo):
                Ensaladas El Fuego, La Negrina and La Justa (p.1555-1581)

Cancoes, Villancicos e Motetes Portugueses (16 and 17C; Huelgas Ensemble)
                Music by Lesbio, Machado, Pinheiro, Fernanded, Lusitano, de Tavares and da Madre de Deus

Barraqué:
                Le Temps restitué (1968)

Comment

This evening I decided to do a comparative listening to the scherzo of Bruckner's 3rd Symphony (Jochum performing the Nowak rev. 1888/89 vs Tintner performing the original version). The Tintner recording was a little more subdued than the Jochum, but I equally liked both performances. The volume levels were immediately apparent and I think the clarity suffered a little with the Tintner, although this would be fault of the recording technique and not the conductor or orchestra. As for content and variation between versions I liked both equally.

Comment

Antonin Dvorak — Symphony no. 9 in E minor (From the New World): Largo
                    Performer: The Prague Symphony Orchestra Performer: Libor Pešek (conductor)
                    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart — Symphony No 39 in E flat major K.543: Finale
                    Performer: The English Concert Performer: Trevor Pinnock (director)

Sergey Vasilievich Rachmaninov — Vocalise (orchestral version)
                    Performer: USSR Symphony Orchestra Performer: Evgeni Svetlanov (conductor)

George Gershwin — Tip-Toes: Overture
                    Performer: New Princess Theater Orchestra Performer: John McGlinn (conductor)

Johann Sebastian Bach — Toccata and Fugue in D minor BWV 565
                    Performer: Peter Hurford (organ)

Nikolai Andreyevich Rimsky-Korsakov — Flight of the Bumblebee (trans Rachmaninov)
                    Performer: Simon Trpčeski (piano)

Alessandro Scarlatti — Concerto Grosso in E major
                    Performer: Solisti dell’Orchestra “Scarlatti” di Napoli

André Messager — O Salutaris Hostia
                    Performer: Jean-Philippe Audoli (violin) Performer: La Chapelle Royale Performer: Les Petits Chanteurs de Saint-Louis Performer: Ensemble Musique- Oblique Performer: Philippe Herreweghe (conductor)
                    Gustav Holst — The Planets: Jupiter
                    Performer: BBC Symphony Orchestra Performer: Andrew Davis (conductor)

Johann Sebastian Bach — Cello Suite No 1 in G: Prelude
                    Performer: Jian Wang (cello)

Hector Berlioz — Romeo and Juliet (A dramatic symphony): Romeo alone; The Capulets’ Feast
                    Performer: London Symphony Orchestra Performer: Pierre Monteux (conductor)

Leonard Bernstein — Symphonic dances from 'West Side story'
                    Orchestrator: Ramin & Kostal Performer: New York Philharmonic Performer: Leonard Bernstein (conductor)
                    Last edited by Megan; 09-08-2011, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Today:

Bridge:
                      Isabella (1907) (R3: Proms)

Birtwistle:
                      Concerto for Violin and Orchestra (2010) (R3: proms)

Codex Las Huelgas: excerpts (Spain 13th C)

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                        Today:

Bridge:
                        Isabella (1907) (R3: Proms)

Birtwistle:
                        Concerto for Violin and Orchestra (2010) (R3: proms)

Codex Las Huelgas: excerpts (Spain 13th C)
                        What did you think of the Harrison-Birtwhistle? Personally I'm no fan of his music so I didn't listen to it, but I'd still be interested to know how it was received?
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                          What did you think of the Harrison-Birtwistle? Personally I'm no fan of his music so I didn't listen to it, but I'd still be interested to know how it was received?
                          On re-listening to the Birtwistle concerto (I had been able to listen to its premiere performance) I have to say that it is an IMO wunderful piece, which -I hope- reaches a CD.

I think it is a good piece of music, it's interesting as Birtwistle succeeds in his goal to make the violinist audible throughout the piece (which unfortunately is too often not the case in violin concertos, and not only recent ones, if you'd like to listen to an excellent example of this: Szymanowski's 2nd concerto from 1935), it's lyrical, and keeps your attention.

There is one thing however which did escape my attention the first time I heard it: actually it exists nearly completely of music with a slow pulse, despite the quick and fast music played by the soloist or his discussion partners in the orchestra.

Comment

Hello Roehre. I would very much like to listen to this work, and I remember we did talk a good while ago via PM about how I could do that. Without any intention of putting pressure on you (it's not at all urgent), did you manage to find a solution for me? Please, only when you have time!

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                              Hello Roehre. I would very much like to listen to this work, and I remember we did talk a good while ago via PM about how I could do that. Without any intention of putting pressure on you (it's not at all urgent), did you manage to find a solution for me? Please, only when you have time!

Philip, you can listen again to the Proms performance on this link:
                              The Birtwistle:
                              Concerto for Violin and Orchestra piece comes in about 27 minutes after the preamble and Isabella. You can always fastforward it to the piece you want.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ge_Birtwistle/

I am listening now.

I listened to - Codex Las Huelgas: excerpts on Youtube.
                              It is a beautiful piece of 13th century Spanish sacred music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoNfE...layer_embedded

Thank you to Roehre for posting it.
                              Last edited by Megan; 09-08-2011, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X