live recordings of Eroica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

live recordings of Eroica

Hello all! I need a good audio quality live recording of Eroica. I have a Furtfangler performance from 1947 on a Grammofono CD. The performance is great, but I am looking for something with higher quality sound. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Montague

Originally posted by opus one:
    Hello all! I need a good audio quality live recording of Eroica. I have a Furtfangler performance from 1947 on a Grammofono CD. The performance is great, but I am looking for something with higher quality sound. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Montague
    I think Gardiner's/Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique 'authentic' performance (Archiv label) is live, but the performance is a touch heavy handed for my taste, lacks vitality. Why do you want a live recording? The best to my taste is by Saval/Les Concert des Nations on Astree label. Light textured (period instruments too) yet electric and exhilarating. You need look no further.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Thanks Rod, I'll buy those.

Any others anyone?

I just like the 'electricity' of live recordings.

Montague

Comment

Originally posted by opus one:
        Thanks Rod, I'll buy those.

Any others anyone?

I just like the 'electricity' of live recordings.

Montague
        Don't buy Gardiner's, and a reminder that Saval's is not live. However many 'live' recordings are subject to studio editing - often they are a compilation of cuts made from a series performances of the same work.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
        X