A World Without Beethoven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Philip View Post
    No, this is not the point, as far as I read it. The choice is there, to be sure; but how many will "dip their toes" in waters that are seemingly less welcoming?
    What also annoyed me about Chris's bland dictum ("Cream always rises to the top") was its uncritical assumption of how canonical status is conferred.
    Yes but why lay the blame at Beethoven's feet for that (as the article suggests)? Why are the waters 'less welcoming'? Obviously the argument in the article implies as you do that the whole of western output up to the 20th century is somehow responsible for perverting the ears of today's listeners - unable to appreciate the finer glories of ugliness and total dissonance that we are now presented with today. An ugliness that we are confronted with daily in our lives in the hideous architecture that has disfigured many of our towns and cities, the wanton destruction of our natural environments, corruption, violence etc..

In your many responses to Preston on spirituality of which you are unsurprisingly dismissive I wonder what on earth you actually get out of listening to music? That to many Beethoven's music is uplifting and does add a very necessary 'spiritual' dimension to their lives shouldn't be so condescendingly dismissed as 'drivel' - I sense too much empathy with Bazarov!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I did want to add something to Philip's comment about the poverty and sadness in the world.

Not long ago, I watched a video on homelessness and a large portion of the people who were homeless felt they had a purpose in life. I think that is interesting. I have also noticed a lot of the poorest people in the world believe in some kind of deity. Not all, but a lot. When speaking of all the terror in the world it does seem all bad, but a lot of people living in 3rd world countries, poverty, tribal environments, etc. still find great peace and enjoyment in life.

Though also, a lot of people cannot find enjoyment in life and this is no doubt a beyond terribly saddening thing. I don't know the answers, but for me, I try to live as honest of a life as I can. What I now do when I think of things like the severe suffering is tell myself there are things you do not know and cannot understand.

This universe is no doubt a mystery, and yes, I believe there are powers at work that only few have even ever started to comprehend. The people I am aware of and I think of though am not sure who tapped into this sacred world are: Pythagoras, Gautama Buddha, Muhammad, Jesus of Nazareth, Beethoven, etc. I find it absolutely fascinating which is why I attempt () to learn about these individuals.

Please read about Pythagoras and the Tetractys - it is as mysterious as this world and beyond.
      - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

What also annoyed me about Chris's bland dictum ("Cream always rises to the top") was its uncritical assumption of how canonical status is conferred.
        I must point out that I never used the word "always" - an important distinction.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          I must point out that I never used the word "always" - an important distinction.
          Very well, the adverbial distiction "always" is duly noted. Look, I am in no doubt that Beethoven is one of the greatest composers who ever walked this earth, and I am extremely grateful that he ever existed. However, "greatness" alone does not explain how such a figure arose, and to suggest uncritically that "cream will rise to the top" ignores the mechanisms that ensure this; mechanisms that even today prevent the "rise" of obscure composers who (for some reason or other) have fell by the wayside. Who "rediscovered" Bach years after his death? Were it not for Felix, Bach would today be a composer known only to crusty musicologists (hah!) poring over dusty manuscripts.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            Yes but why lay the blame at Beethoven's feet for that (as the article suggests)? Why are the waters 'less welcoming'? Obviously the argument in the article implies as you do that the whole of western output up to the 20th century is somehow responsible for perverting the ears of today's listeners - unable to appreciate the finer glories of ugliness and total dissonance that we are now presented with today. An ugliness that we are confronted with daily in our lives in the hideous architecture that has disfigured many of our towns and cities, the wanton destruction of our natural environments, corruption, violence etc..

In your many responses to Preston on spirituality of which you are unsurprisingly dismissive I wonder what on earth you actually get out of listening to music? That to many Beethoven's music is uplifting and does add a very necessary 'spiritual' dimension to their lives shouldn't be so condescendingly dismissed as 'drivel' - I sense too much empathy with Bazarov!
            I am not laying that at Beethoven's feet, and where is this total dissonance? This is just a term you are employing, and has little meaning beyond the WAM harmony/counterpoint treatises. You know as well as I do that the tritone was considered "diabolic" centuries ago, but today such a simple interval is really quite trite, and handled accordingly.

What do I get out of listening to music? Well, certainly something. My point was that the term "spiritual" (that others confuse with "transcendental") is used unthinkingly.

Comment

I am not laying that at Beethoven's feet, and where is this total dissonance? This is just a term you are employing, and has little meaning beyond the WAM harmony/counterpoint treatises. You know as well as I do that the tritone was considered "diabolic" centuries ago, but today such a simple interval is really quite trite, and handled accordingly.

What do I get out of listening to music? Well, certainly something. My point was that the term "spiritual" (that others confuse with "transcendental") is used unthinkingly.
              I'm not saying you were blaming Beethoven, but the article is ridiculous to suggest that the world would be better off without Beethoven because it would appreciate modern music better. As to the general canon that you referred to in an earlier post, well looking at the proms season this year I'd say it was pretty diverse and Michael made the point that Beethoven was actually rather poorly represented!

I'm glad you get something out of music even if you are unable to specify exactly what - pleasure might be a start! The term 'spiritual' clearly means different things to people - I suppose aside from any religious connotation (which to atheists will always seem like 'drivel') it is used for something that we think of as deep and moves us on a personal level.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                It's alive because people love it. And people love it because it is great.
                EXACTLY.

Incredible article that completely misses the point
                Incredible to me because it's so full of contradictions-apparently someone just wanted a little face-time with an audience.

Well, oki-dokie-smokie

If we're gonna roll over Beethoven, let's get into the right groove, put a little work into it and quit fiddling around with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmCyL9zgL0o

As they used to say in the Progressive Music 70's: Git down everybody--Beethoven was the leading Progressive Edge to the first Rock Music--why do ya think they call him "The Heavy Metal Composer"

Cheeri-oh!

Forever Eternalisa
                "It was not the fortuitous meeting of the chordal atoms that made the world; if order and beauty are reflected in the constitution of the universe, then there is a God."

Comment

5...]I'm glad you get something out of music even if you are unable to specify exactly what - pleasure might be a start!
                  Well yes, pleasure certainly, why on earth would you think I don't? But "pleasure" is a complex issue...

Comment

Well yes, pleasure certainly, why on earth would you think I don't? But "pleasure" is a complex issue...
                    Your pleasure seems to be in making things complex when really they are quite simple!
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                    X