Elgar code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elgar code

Elgar was a keen cryptographer and aside from the famous mystery Enigma theme, in 1897 he wrote an 87-character code to his friend Dorabella Penny. Forty years later, she published the code in her memoirs but claimed never to have solved it.

In the intervening years, many would-be codebreakers have also drawn a blank. The script appears to contain 24 distinct squiggly symbols spread across three lines. Analysis of the code suggests the symbols could be a simple "substitution cipher", where each symbol is assigned to a letter. But this hasn't produced an answer, so perhaps it is a shorthand language shared only between Elgar and Penny.

In 2007, the Elgar Society organised a competition to break the code. Alas, none of the entries was convincing.

'Man know thyself'

My husband is fascinated by the code in the Enigma variation for many years.
    There are many theories about this, so it is interesting what you say. Elgar was himself a very enigmatic person, if that's not a pun.
    No doubt if you google it , you can come up with all kinds of stuff. One thing that perhaps is not commented on enough is Elgar's Catholicism. He was probably lapsed but came from a part of the country that suffered terrible persecutions in the 16th century and had to learn a kind of secret language to avoid professing the faith. There is a massive amount of work going on at the moment on Shakespeare's Catholic past and the codes that Shakespeare uses in the plays. It is a hot topic at the moment and no doubt Elgar was brought up in this kind of background.
    All I am really saying is, Elgar knew the kind of secret world and codes that Catholics had to use in the 16th century because of his roots in that area.
    A long shot maybe, but it's all very fascinating.
    Last edited by Megan; 05-30-2011, 09:18 AM.
    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

It says, "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine."

Comment

Isn't it strange though that the Enigma machine (named after Elgar's variations I believe) could crack the German codes, yet even now they still can't work out Elgar's cryptich messages or the counter theme to the variations?!
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          It says, "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine."
          Now, that is hilarious!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            Isn't it strange though that the Enigma machine (named after Elgar's variations I believe) could crack the German codes, yet even now they still can't work out Elgar's cryptich messages or the counter theme to the variations?!
            It is strange, I agree. Did you know that I use musical "themes" to help me remember key passwords (bank account, PIN numbers and so on)? This is why people in the queue behind me at the cash dispenser are perplexed when I sing or whistle a little "melody" to help me remember the number!
            Here is the PIN number to my Swiss account : Dum-di-dah-ti (E-flat major). And here is the PIN number to my Cayman's off-shore account : Ti-dah-di-Dum (F-sharp minor).
            Last edited by Quijote; 07-21-2011, 09:43 PM. Reason: Damn, I've forgotten the key !

Comment

I also have an Australian dollar account (Sydney branch; such a worthless currency, let's be honest, but every little helps). Here is the melody I use to help me remember the number : Du-di-du-di-dumb-dumb (a very, very flat key; probably a double-flat).
              Last edited by Quijote; 07-21-2011, 09:55 PM. Reason: So flat it's off the scale ! Hah !

Comment

I wonder if rhythm could be interpolated into any of these passwords.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                  I also have an Australian dollar account (Sydney branch; such a worthless currency, let's be honest, but every little helps). Here is the melody I use to help me remember the number : Du-di-du-di-dumb-dumb (a very, very flat key; probably a double-flat).
                  Supposing the password were a part of a sequence. Would you remember which part very easily?

Comment

I'm not telling, nosey boy !!
                    I also have a Salt Lake City bank account. The PIN number is ... (a certain Bruckner theme).

Comment

I'm not telling, nosey boy !!
                      I also have a Salt Lake City bank account. The PIN number is ... (a certain Bruckner theme).
                      Hey, I know a couple of those themes!

Comment

Hey, you leave my dollars alone !!

Comment

Hey, you leave my dollars alone !!
                          Dollars?? And here I was thinking you had some sense!

Comment

It is strange, I agree. Did you know that I use musical "themes" to help me remember key passwords (bank account, PIN numbers and so on)? This is why people in the queue behind me at the cash dispenser are perplexed when I sing or whistle a little "melody" to help me remember the number!
                            Here is the PIN number to my Swiss account : Dum-di-dah-ti (E-flat major). And here is the PIN number to my Cayman's off-shore account : Ti-dah-di-Dum (F-sharp minor).
                            Sounds like Big Ben.
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                            X