Beethoven at the BBC Proms 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven at the BBC Proms 2011

It seems incredible that it's come round again so quickly, but here is a link to Beethoven concerts at the proms for those planning on going or listening live.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/whats-on/...0-2c5373b7eac9
    'Man know thyself'

Our boy's works seem rather thin on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Our boy's works seem rather thin on the ground.
      Yes I thought the same - I haven't had a proper look at the whole programme yet, just to see how it balances out in terms of Classic/Romantic/ Modern.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Don't forget the 8 week season of concerts begins tomorrow (July 15th) - this websire tells you all about the music and events - also scroll down and there is an informative piece on Beethoven's Eroica in 'discover the music'. http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

A scintillating performance last night of Liszt's 2nd piano concerto by the outstanding young pianist Benjamin Grosvenor - at 19, the youngest ever soloist to play at the proms. I recall him winning the piano round of BBC young musician of the year aged 12 back in 2004. He is certainly a musician to watch for the future - for more on Benjamin visit http://www.benjamingrosvenor.co.uk
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

The Proms is a wonderful institution ... and one I find appalling. I am perhaps "an inverse snob". Your replies please in fewer (not less) than 94 pages.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
              The Proms is a wonderful institution ... and one I find appalling. I am perhaps "an inverse snob". Your replies please in fewer (not less) than 94 pages.
              Yes I detect a hint of inversion here - perhaps you could explain why you find a series of concerts devoted to an enormously wide repertoire and featuring many of the world's finest artists 'appalling'?
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

I have several (some obscure, I suppose) reasons for not liking the "institution" known as "The Proms". I give you the least significant and most obvious : I don't like crowds, and the "mentality" that goes with them.

Comment

I have several (some obscure, I suppose) reasons for not liking the "institution" known as "The Proms". I give you the least significant and most obvious : I don't like crowds, and the "mentality" that goes with them.
                  I can understand that, sharing your aversion to masses, but it can be watched in the comfort of your own room and some truly fine musical experiences are to be had - last night: Sibelius symphony no.7, Bartok piano concerto no.3 and Janacek Sinfonietta played by the Halle orchestra.
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Another article for you all that touches on patriotic music, the Proms, etc.
                    http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/toms...music-ma-vlast

Comment

Another article for you all that touches on patriotic music, the Proms, etc.
                      http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/toms...music-ma-vlast
                      Yes, I think it comes down to our attitude to culture in Britain - other countries have a far greater pride in their composers than we do here. I bet your average Brit has never even heard of Elgar, Vaughan-Williams etc.. whereas in Italy you'd be hard put to find anyone who hadn't heard of Verdi and wasn't familiar with many of his famous melodies.

The last night of the proms is a different issue altogether and Elgar himself didn't approve of all the jingoism or the words set to his famous tune. I can understand your antipathy to that occasion, but I don't think the whole season of concerts should be judged by that.

Last night's offering on BBC4 was Roger Norrington conducting Mahler's 9th - I find Norrington's obsession with no vibrato misplaced here - any thoughts?
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                        Yes, I think it comes down to our attitude to culture in Britain - other countries have a far greater pride in their composers than we do here. I bet your average Brit has never even heard of Elgar, Vaughan-Williams etc.. whereas in Italy you'd be hard put to find anyone who hadn't heard of Verdi and wasn't familiar with many of his famous melodies.

Last night's offering on BBC4 was Roger Norrington conducting Mahler's 9th - I find Norrington's obsession with no vibrato misplaced here - any thoughts?
                        As for the culture, I imagine, you are right. There are so few, it seems, who are actual enthusiasts for classical in America, too. I try to support the local symphony by going to the concerts, which is also beneficial for me, . Sometimes they are packed, which is quite good compared to some of the orchestras of the day, though sometimes it is far to few. I remember I went to a very intimate chamber orchestra setting in a small hall of some great works, including Beethoven's 8th symphony and the crowd (which it could not really be called that) was not there, so to say. I even went to another chamber orchestra performance where they played Beethoven's Pastoral and Schumann's Piano Concerto and it was lacking. Though, the sleaziest and cheesiest, artists who base their entire performance more on their looks and self-image with the music being almost second - if not - pack out over 50,000!

As for Norrington, in a sense I like the non-vibrato. Not, particularly because of the sound (which I do enjoy) but because of it is something different. You can have vibrato or not have vibrato - as long as there are both than I don't really see any problem. Though, I do not know much Mahler, if any really - so I lose you there.
                        - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Tomorrow night (Sunday 4th Sept) Beethoven's Missa Solemnis is being performed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/whats-on/...eptember-04/78
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                          X