Tavistock music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tavistock music

The Beatles were a Tavistock invention. Most of their compositions were done by Theodor Adorno of the Frankfurt School and the 12 tone scale fame.

I came across this comment on a another site and it intrigued me. Presumably this is a reference to the music being programmed to hit certain mental and emotional wave lengths, a la Tavistock techniques. But I didn't know about Adorno being the basis for their compositions.
    If rock music appeals to the lower or the simpler instincts to that people could be programmed, then why does that same process not occur in classical music which obviously appeals to the higher functions such as reason, logic and aesthetics.
    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Very interesting post Megan. Whether there is even a grain or truth in the claims, the first thing is that the Beatles' music is not Atonal, it is based on the major/minor tonality used by Bach. As to the influence of popular culture I think you can indeed argue the case of its negative influence on society with a direct link to the explosion in drug use as just one example. As to it occurring in Classical music, I daresay some would claim it does and cite Wagner as an example!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Very interesting post Megan. Whether there is even a grain or truth in the claims, the first thing is that the Beatles' music is not Atonal, it is based on the major/minor tonality used by Bach. As to the influence of popular culture I think you can indeed argue the case of its negative influence on society with a direct link to the explosion in drug use as just one example. As to it occurring in Classical music, I daresay some would claim it does and cite Wagner as an example!

I agree Peter,

It is strange you mention Wagner, because I always think listening to say, Tannhäuser and themes from the Ring, there is this sensuous dream like quality which suggests altered states of consciousness, all those long held notes that seems to trail off with a sigh.
      ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
        I agree Peter,

It is strange you mention Wagner, because I always think listening to say, Tannhäuser and themes from the Ring, there is this sensuous dream like quality which suggests altered states of consciousness, all those long held notes that seems to trail off with a sigh.
        I like your description of Wagner's music. While I've noticed a lot those "sighs", as you put it, I've never thought about it that way. That's nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          Very interesting post Megan. Whether there is even a grain or truth in the claims, the first thing is that the Beatles' music is not Atonal, it is based on the major/minor tonality used by Bach. !
          I don't know if you could call it atonal, but quite a few Beatle tracks are (strictly speaking) not in any key due to the fact that some of the tapes were speeded up or slowed down artificially.
          When the horn player, Alan Civil, was recruited to add a french horn to McCartney's song "For No One" he complained that the original backing track was recorded "in the cracks": neither B flat nor B major. This, he said, posed a "certain difficulty in tuning my instrument".

Comment

Working...
          X