Tastes in classical music.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tastes in classical music.

Can an the aesthetics of music never be agreed upon by all of us?

One way of solving the problem. If we go back to the old days when, say, Frederick the Great ran a musical court and told his courtiers what was good music, what was bad, and punished those who failed to agree with him.
    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Originally posted by Megan View Post
    Can an aesthetics of music ever be agreed upon by all of us?

One way of solving the problem [might be] if we went back to the old days when, say, Frederick the Great ran a musical court and told his courtiers what was good music, what was bad, and punished those who failed to agree with him.
    Yes, I knew you'd all come round to my way of thinking ... eventually. [Add icon]

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
      Can an the aesthetics of music never be agreed upon by all of us?

One way of solving the problem. If we go back to the old days when, say, Frederick the Great ran a musical court and told his courtiers what was good music, what was bad, and punished those who failed to agree with him.
      We can't even agree on what is music, let alone what is good.

Comment

Hah!

Comment

All I can say then is each to their own and let's stick to Beethoven where perhaps we do all agree!
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            All I can say then is each to their own and let's stick to Beethoven where perhaps we do all agree!
            However, discussion in other areas opens potential doors where people might learn to appreciate beyond their current tastes. This has been my case, particularly with food and I am ever grateful for the exposure to new things.

Comment

Tastes shift, that is certain. I take succour from the fact that Sibelius once got into a fight with some members of the audience on leaving a concert of one of Bruckner's symphonies (sometime in the late 1890s) that left him with a limp! Imagine, having a punch-up over music! We're on the right track, ladies and gentlemen.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                Tastes shift, that is certain. I take succour from the fact that Sibelius once got into a fight with some members of the audience on leaving a concert of one of Bruckner's symphonies (sometime in the late 1890s) that left him with a limp! Imagine, having a punch-up over music! We're on the right track, ladies and gentlemen.
                So he left with a limp and those who walked out probably never listened to another note of Bruckner - brilliant outcome! Surely what life teaches you is that you can't force people to like or dislike things? Taste is by definition very personal and I certainly gave up a long time ago trying to get friends to like classical music -they have to come to it themselves or not at all, there's no point getting het up about it!
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

You could certainly say that with a lot of things and not just music.
                  'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
                  X