New Beethoven's Fifth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Beethoven's Fifth

There is a new recording of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony and Fourth Piano Concerto, by the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, Michael Tilson Thomas, and Emmanuel Ax on the piano for the concerto. It is beautiful, of course.

Thanks for the heads up. Do you have it or will you be getting it? It's interesting because throughout the history of recording audio people have recorded so many classical works over and over. Usually people wait on a new album from a musician with brand new pieces. Though, there are no new songs with classical - so the buyer pretty much buys the same pieces over and over for the different performances. Seeing as the wait does not hurt because there are so many recording of the pieces mentioned, perhaps I will buy the performance you mention in 10 years - seeing as it will probably be much cheaper then, !
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

I've heard it a few times, but I don't have it. It is the WETA CD Pick of the Week, so they are playing parts of it every day.

I prefer the Vanska cycle myself, but this is very nice.

Comment

If you'd like to hear the new Symphony 5 recording, here is three hour notice. They will play it at 12:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time today. I am posting this at 9:04 AM. There is a "listen live" link at http://www.weta.org/fm/playlists/classicalweta

- Susan

Comment

I caught the very end of the last movement of this recording of the 5th on WETA yesterday. Not enough to tell how much I liked it, though.

Comment

I found it on AmazonMP3. I tell you I have really gotten into Amazon's new mp3 cloud service. It is quite easy to use and it works with the android phones. All you have to do on the phone is open the AmazonMP3 app, search for the piece of music you want and then buy - and it is yours. As simple as that. It is neat because instead of going through a more complex process you can just search and download.

Here is the link where you can buy some of the movements and hear some samples:

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Symp...3499495&sr=8-5
            - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

This is the joy of music : each performance offers (hopefully) new insights, and is not all in the score (Euan take note, please). I once tried to raise this point a long time ago concerning Lydia Goehre's (check spelling, please) "The Museum of Music" (check title, please and/or my ancient postings, as it's late and I am not about to go into my attic to dig out the book).

Comment

Working...
              X