Clear All

Artist of the Week
    Allegri
    Miserere
    Roy Goodman (treble)
    King's College Choir, Cambridge
    Sir David Willcocks (conductor)
    Decca Legends 466 373-2DM
    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

This morning: Elgar's 4 Dances for Winds

Comment

The Haydn recordings by Manfred Huss and the Haydn Sinfonietta Wien have been being steadily re-released on BIS for the last few years. Finally they have gotten to the Complete Early Divertimenti. I've been looking forward to this for a while, and that's what I'm listening to for the next few days.

Hob. II:1-3, 7-9, 11, 14-17, 20-24, 46 D22, G1
        Hob. IV:5
        Hob. XIV:1
        Hob. VIIa:1 (Why they decided to throw the first violin concerto in there, I'm not sure)
        Hob. VIII:3, 3bis

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          The Haydn recordings by Manfred Huss and the Haydn Sinfonietta Wien have been being steadily re-released on BIS for the last few years. Finally they have gotten to the Complete Early Divertimenti. I've been looking forward to this for a while, and that's what I'm listening to for the next few days.

Hob. II:1-3, 7-9, 11, 14-17, 20-24, 46 D22, G1
          Hob. IV:5
          Hob. XIV:1
          Hob. VIIa:1 (Why they decided to throw the first violin concerto in there, I'm not sure)
          Hob. VIII:3, 3bis
          Chris, Really lovely music that is.
          You've got, or at least know, the Notturni H.II-24-30 and the scherzandi H.II:31-38? "Later" Haydn, but these are as fresh as the (much) earlier ones you've planned to listen to now (and also with some surprises in terms of recycled material)

It is a pity that the Hoboken catalogue is not easy to use regarding different versions of works, the 7 Last words being a good case, or of attributed works.
          IIRC the violin concerto in C H.VIIa:1 is one of those attributed ones, Tomasini being the likely composer of the work, of which AFAIK a score for smaller forces in Haydn's hand exists as well, the latter explaining why it is attributed to Haydn, as well as why Schwann/Bis considers this to be a Divertimento concertante.

I guess the asterisked Hoboken-numbers (*) in your post 163 allude to works attributed to Haydn, or at least of doubtful authorship?

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
            Chris, Really lovely music that is.
            You've got, or at least know, the Notturni H.II-24-30 and the scherzandi H.II:31-38? "Later" Haydn, but these are as fresh as the (much) earlier ones you've planned to listen to now (and also with some surprises in terms of recycled material)
            Yes indeed. I have the Notturni performed by the Slovak Chamber Orchestra/Warchal and the Scherzandi by the Berlin Haydn-Ensemble/Hartog with Hansjorg Schellenberger and Emmanuel Pahud. Huss's group also recorded these, but I passed on that in favor of these recordings. Maybe I'll pick those up at some point just to have all of his Haydn recordings.

It is a pity that the Hoboken catalogue is not easy to use regarding different versions of works, the 7 Last words being a good case, or of attributed works.
            Yes, there is some difficulty there. Actually, the most annoying thing about it is that the only online version I have found is in French! I have tried to use it to see what Haydn composed that I don't have recordings of, and from what I can tell, there are some works which still have not been recorded, such as some of the dances.

IIRC the violin concerto in C H.VIIa:1 is one of those attributed ones, Tomasini being the likely composer of the work, of which AFAIK a score for smaller forces in Haydn's hand exists as well, the latter explaining why it is attributed to Haydn, as well as why Schwann/Bis considers this to be a Divertimento concertante.
            Interesting. I have never heard that the work was of doubtful authenticity. The liner notes on this recording just say it was written by Haydn for Tomasini. Another recording I have of it makes no mention of this in the notes either.

I guess the asterisked Hoboken-numbers (*) in your post 163 allude to works attributed to Haydn, or at least of doubtful authorship?
            Yes. I didn't think anyone would bother to read it that closely!

Comment

Today:

Julian Philips:
              Ricochets Between (2010) (R3: lunchtime concert)

Mahler:
              Symphony no.1 (Mitropoulos / MinneapolisSO 1940)

Searle:
              Symphony nr.3 op.36 (1959/’60)

Sweelinck:
              Mein junges Leben hat ein End

Höller:
              Sweelinck-variations op.56 (1951)

Comment

Working...
              X