Crumb:
    Makrokosmos I & II (1973)

De Haas:
    Improvisations and Harmonies (1985/’91)

Ton de Leeuw:
    Les Adieux (1988)

Comment

Today:

Jaromír Weinberger: Schwanda the Bagpiper: Polka & Fugue (wonderful piece, too bad more of his music isn't a-round)

Mehul: Symphony No. 2 in D (the second movement particularly caught my ear)

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
        Today:

Jaromír Weinberger: Schwanda the Bagpiper: Polka & Fugue (wonderful piece, too bad more of his music isn't a-round)

Mehul: Symphony No. 2 in D (the second movement particularly caught my ear)
        Sorrano,
        Weinberger's Schwanda opera is a very enjoyable opera in its entirety.
        There is a nice recording of it on Sony.

I guess what caught your ear in Mehul are the beethovenisms?
        They must have known each other's music, and it is not quite clear who inspired whom as the 4 Mehul symphonies stem from 1808-1810.

Comment

Roehre, your comments are always so informative and I appreciate that very much! I will have to take a look at Schwanda; I've loved the Polka and Fugue since I first heard it.

In the 2nd movement of the Mehul 2nd, there was a rhythmic idea that was repeated frequently and that is what caught my attention. The symphony as a whole was quite enjoyable.

Comment

Haydn - Divertimenti for flute, violin, and cello, Hob. IV:6-11. These are listed as being for two violins and cello as well, though I have never seen them recorded that way (these pieces aren't recorded that much as it is). I recognize several of the movements as being arrangements of other works.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
              Haydn - Divertimenti for flute, violin, and cello, Hob. IV:6-11. ..... I recognize several of the movements as being arrangements of other works.
              Or the originals of which later arrangements were made in other works

Comment

Nothing classical too much lately. Listening to Pictures at an Exhibition played by The Georgian Festival Orchestra conducted by Jahni Mardjani.
                - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Roehre, The music I was listening to this moring on BBC breakfast did not appear on the playlist. Is it possible they showed the wrong playlist, or hadn't changed it.?

Music I listened to Mahler no.5 Adagietto.

Beethoven's Hammerklavier 1st mov. was scheduled for 8:35, but what I heard was -
                  Beethoven's Pathetique.

John Sheppard - Verbum Caro, scheduled for , sung by the Tallis Scholars. Scheduled to play at 9:45. but was played at 9:35.

Not that this matters a great deal , but has caused me some confusion.
                  Last edited by Megan; 05-18-2011, 02:27 PM.
                  ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Now listening to

Georg Philipp Telemann — Paris Quartet No 2 in A major: 1vt mvt
                    Performer: Florilegium

Channel Classics CCS 13598, Tr. 6 .09:37
                    Hector Berlioz — Symphony Fantastique: March to the scaffold
                    Performer: Anima Eterna Brugge Performer: Jos van Immerseel (conductor)

Zig zag ZZT 100101, Tr. 4
                    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

This morning: Quantz: Flute Concerto in G (No. 290)
                      Barber: 2nd Essay for Orchestra

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                        Roehre, The music I was listening to this moring on BBC breakfast did not appear on the playlist. Is it possible they showed the wrong playlist, or hadn't changed it.?
                        (...)
                        Beethoven's Hammerklavier 1st mov. was scheduled for 8:35, but what I heard was - Beethoven's Pathetique.

John Sheppard - Verbum Caro, scheduled for , sung by the Tallis Scholars. Sheduled to play at 9:45. but was played at 9:35.

Not that this matters , but has caused me some confusion.
                        The Breakfast playlists are approximates, and can be changed without notice. But straightforwardly stupid mistakes are made too: I think mixing up the Hammerklavier and the Pathétique might be one, as I cannot imagine the former's 1st movement being an item played in breakfast. Last week even in the introduction of the work Beethoven's opus 70/1 "Ghost" was announced and its sisterwork op.70/2 was the one actually played

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                          The Breakfast playlists are approximates, and can be changed without notice. But straightforwardly stupid mistakes are made too: I think mixing up the Hammerklavier and the Pathétique might be one, as I cannot imagine the former's 1st movement being an item played in breakfast. Last week even in the introduction of the work Beethoven's opus 70/1 "Ghost" was announced and its sisterwork op.70/2 was the one actually played
                          Now that would have been downright spooky!

Comment

Today:

Alpaerts:
                            Zomer-idylle (1928) (R3: TtN)

Mahler:
                            Symphony no.10: Adagio

Peter Eötvös:
                            Zero Points
                            Psychokosmos
                            Levitation
                            IMA
                            (last Saturday’s R3: H&N)

For some reason Eötvös‘ IMA inspired me to return to:
                            Sweelinck:
                            Psalms 150, 33, 53, 148 and 98
                            Te Deum laudamus
                            Ab Oriente
                            Oraison orientale
                            De Profundis
                            Caude et laetare
                            Ecce Prandium

Comment

Today:

Two centuries of Psalms:
                              33 and 130 Sweelinck
                              69 Zwingli
                              46 Walter
                              125 Greiter
                              12, 26 and 40 Clemens non Papa
                              107 de Monte
                              140 Claude le Jeune
                              47 Vallet
                              121 Butler
                              24 van Noordt
                              120 Hassler
                              103 Buxtehude (BuxWV 212)
                              103 Schütz (SWV 201)
                              149+103+150 JSBach (Motet BWV 225)

Maconchy:
                              String quartet no.1 (1932/’33)

Comment

Hearing the Prelude to Tannhauser was a good to wake up this morning!

Comment

Working...
                                X