Clear All

Originally posted by Peter View Post
    Yes and of course in Baroque.
    Here are some great fugues for Preston from Beethoven's Missa Solemnis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13l7S...eature=related
    Credo - Et Vitam Venturi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXRCxaDIfBs
    Gloria, fugue starts at 1'10
    I was just thinking of those two fugues, as well!

Comment

You might just as well ask why write a symphony or an opera?! The human desire to create is the answer and obviously genius has to find an outlet.
      Perhaps Mozart was inspired to write fugues after hearing this piece by Glenn Gould:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6hQnBc5sQU

Assuming he had a time machine we never knew about, of course.

Comment

Peter, do you recognize the conductor of the Credo section you linked?

I've missed this great work, not having listened to it for a long time. There is nothing like this work to inspire and elevate one to great heights.

Preston, note how the contrapuntal sections, the fugues, create a lot of tension and excitement, both with the interplay of the independent voices and also with the constant shifting harmony. When a fugue is well done, such as this, it will grab you and not let go until you are exhausted. At least, for me, fugal writing is some of the most exciting in all of music.

(Pardon if I ramble, the music is exhilarating!)

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          Perhaps Mozart was inspired to write fugues after hearing this piece by Glenn Gould:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6hQnBc5sQU

Assuming he had a time machine we never knew about, of course.
          Brilliant Chris! Mozart would have loved it - Glenn was such a comedian!
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post

I've missed this great work, not having listened to it for a long time. There is nothing like this work to inspire and elevate one to great heights.

Preston, note how the contrapuntal sections, the fugues, create a lot of tension and excitement, both with the interplay of the independent voices and also with the constant shifting harmony. When a fugue is well done, such as this, it will grab you and not let go until you are exhausted. At least, for me, fugal writing is some of the most exciting in all of music.

Sorry no, but I like the performance. Doesn't music like this just make you realise that Beethoven was the greatest composer ever? I'm sorry but no matter who else I listen to from the Renaissance to today, nothing affects me like his music and the Missa Solemnis is one of the greatest works ever written! You know I think the reason is his overwhelming humantiy and optimism that lifts you to another realm - he doesn't indulge in psychological nightmares or wallow in depression. I always feel good after listening to Beethoven, it's like a dose of life!
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

no internet - on phone - thanks for advice

will be back later with internet! lol
              - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Sorry no, but I like the performance. Doesn't music like this just make you realise that Beethoven was the greatest composer ever? I'm sorry but no matter who else I listen to from the Renaissance to today, nothing affects me like his music and the Missa Solemnis is one of the greatest works ever written! You know I think the reason is his overwhelming humantiy and optimism that lifts you to another realm - he doesn't indulge in psychological nightmares or wallow in depression. I always feel good after listening to Beethoven, it's like a dose of life!
                And to think of all that he had gone through, both real and imagined, when he composed this.

Comment

And to think of all that he had gone through, both real and imagined, when he composed this.
                  I know and think what was still to come - extraordinary!
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

One of the most remarkable things I find about the Credo fugue is the point, about two-thirds in, where Beethoven introduces a sudden short instrumental section (a sort of musical short-cut or wormhole) and when you come out the other side, the music gives the impression of having moved on several pages - you emerge into the thick of the battle, so to speak. Another example of Beethoven not writing any more than was necessary.

(Colin Davis conducts the Missa Solemnis in this year's proms:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/whats-on/...eptember-04/78

Last edited by Michael; 04-17-2011, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X