No announcement yet.

Sexy Beethoven 5th - Good or Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the girls are showing off, their virtuoso or thier vanity? What's with the twirling of the violin bow.
    More to the point, what would Ludwig say to it?
    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

wow -what a volatile thread. 17 views and 16 replies...apparently there are some strong opinions at work here LOL
      The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Originally posted by Ed C View Post
        Now to turn things to less tawdry matters: What do you think will attract young people to classical music and Beethoven in particular?
        Giving them upbringing that will allow them to understand and appreciate it. You can't bring them up on trash and then expect them to appreciate classical music. Those raised on instant gratification will not be drawn to things that take effort. True, some will hear it and love it and seek to learn more about it themselves, but for most it will just be pearls before swine. So unfortunately, I don't think you can solve the problem from that direction. You don't have to do something different with music, you have to do something different with the people.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          Giving them upbringing that will allow them to understand and appreciate it. You can't bring them up on trash and then expect them to appreciate classical music. Those raised on instant gratification will not be drawn to things that take effort. True, some will hear it and love it and seek to learn more about it themselves, but for most it will just be pearls before swine. So unfortunately, I don't think you can solve the problem from that direction. You don't have to do something different with music, you have to do something different with the people.
          Absolutely - Beethoven has been around for over 200 years and millions have responded to his music - why now do we need to 'sex it up', are people now so stupid, and if so what that does that say about the human race today?
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

So Chris, you mean add funding towards education? I would totally agree that the education system seems to be in the dumpster these days, but would force-feeding kids symphonic literature really make them appreciate classical?
            I have a friend who HATES classical - he was forced to take piano lessons as an adolescent (he actually did recitals) and now he finds the whole practice to be negative memory. Personally, I was exposed to everything from Gregorian chant to Stravinsky in 1st year college (and played clarinet in band as well) but I didn't get into Beethoven until well into my 40s...and my university was actually a very good one!
            The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Now to turn things to less tawdry matters: What do you think will attract young people to classical music and Beethoven in particular?
              [/URL]
              To be serious, I think the above approach is as good as any- the key words being "young people". And young people will switch off in their droves if they hear the music played "properly". At least with the rock versions, they get to hear the themes and something might catch their limited attention spans (speaking generally, and not patronisingly - only from experience).
              Can I give an analogy here? I was never taught Shakespeare at school. Around the age of eleven, I saw a gangster movie called "Joe Macbeth", which up-dated the play and followed the original plot closely. I enjoyed it so much, I took out the play from the library. When I got over the fact that there were no machine-guns in the original, I really enjoyed it and have been a fanatic ever since. And this was all because of a "rock" version of the Scottish Play.
              So - is Rock Beethoven better than no Beethoven? I think so.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                Absolutely - Beethoven has been around for over 200 years and millions have responded to his music - why now do we need to 'sex it up', are people now so stupid, and if so what that does that say about the human race today?

Totally agree there Peter. Unfortunately, everything seems dumbed down and childish today.
                ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                  Wise-words Chris, truly.
                  - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                    are people now so stupid...
                    Wait, is that trick question?
                    The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                      common sense and not foolishness,
                      I think there is a lot to be said here. The young people enjoy having fun, but when it comes down to serious business with music the less foolishness the better. Anyone listen to Over the Top radio program that features the young people's approach to music? It airs on PBS.

Comment

Has anyone seen this rather cleverly mimed arguement made to correspond with the music to Beethoven's 5th ?

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/04b...omedy-sketches

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                          I think there is a lot to be said here. The young people enjoy having fun, but when it comes down to serious business with music the less foolishness the better. Anyone listen to Over the Top radio program that features the young people's approach to music? It airs on PBS.
                          What's PBS

Comment

Public Broadcasting Service, I believe. It broadcasts over the public radio stations in the United States. I hear it from time to time and the impression I get is that the up and coming musicians are pretty serious in their endeavors, but do have a sense of humor.

Comment

So Chris, you mean add funding towards education? I would totally agree that the education system seems to be in the dumpster these days, but would force-feeding kids symphonic literature really make them appreciate classical?
                              No, generally I am not a fan of trying to fix problems by throwing money at them. Governments and institutions can only do so much, anyway. As with many things, the problem has to be solved at home, by the parents. Parents can ruin a child's love of music by forcing lessons down their throats, but they can also play classical music in the house early on, play instruments themselves, talk about good music, and encourage interest in it in their children instead of in other things - just make it a positive experience. It's like anything else, really.

And no, classical music doesn't have to be all snobby and stuck-up. Victor Borge and Dudley Moore showed that.

Comment

Victor who? Dudley who? They're both dead aren't they? You're showing your age, man.

Comment

Working...
                                X