The Voice of Brahms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Voice of Brahms

I remember hearing this a good many years ago. The sound quality is horrendous but it's amazing that it exists at all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DILub...eature=related

The restoration (and the misspelling) is not mine, by the way.

(((I am Dr. Brahms, Johannes Brahms.)))
    It is a very high distinctive voice, but surely it is not beyond the wit of perhaps a scholar of Brahms , to tell us what his voice sounded like.
    The jury is out on this one.
    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

It's interesting...however, not convincing (too much mischief/pranking combined with advanced technology serves to support more doubt than belief, I'm afraid) Not saying it's not authentic, just that I'm not convinced.

gimme back my time machine...

xoxoxo

Eternalisa
      "It was not the fortuitous meeting of the chordal atoms that made the world; if order and beauty are reflected in the constitution of the universe, then there is a God."

Comment

Well, I have heard this recording years ago - before the internet - and it sounds identical. If it is a hoax it's a fairly pointless one.

Comment

The Dude thinks it's a work from the avant garde! It's about as audience-friendly.

Comment

Tchaikovsky and Anton Rubinstein (1890) complete with whistle!
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DEEdFLjUiw
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
              The Dude thinks it's a work from the avant garde! It's about as audience-friendly.
              But does it have rhythm??

(I'll have to check it out later as I cannot at work.)

Comment

Same, but stealthy! I've downloaded a performance of the "Rach 3" with the NYPO/Mehta and Horowitz from 1978. "The boy can play", as sung by Dire Straits. The composure is unbelievable, especially from a man who hated performing in his later years. Notice the way he lowers his eyes to the floor during some passagework, as though he's just dropped something and is casually looking for it!! (Peter, is it good technique to have the wrists below the level of the keyboard?)

http://vimeo.com/1721054

Comment

Michael would like to know if the Dude always refers to the Dude in the third person?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                    Tchaikovsky and Anton Rubinstein (1890) complete with whistle!
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DEEdFLjUiw
                    Amazing!
                    And here is the voice of Beethoven himself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He_M5SYG4T0

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      Michael would like to know if the Dude always refers to the Dude in the third person?
                      Only when he needs to be shielded from the public glare, when his agent speaks for him. His asks to tell you he has to work right now and to stop distracting him with winking icons.

Comment

Hmmm..I have no idea if it's real or not. I guess I'll just have to file that one with my collection of UFO and Bigfoot clippings
                        The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Only when he needs to be shielded from the public glare, when his agent speaks for him. His asks to tell you he has to work right now and to stop distracting him with winking icons.
                          Michael respects the wishes of the Dude's agent, but he begs permission for the use of just two last icons:

Comment

Same, but stealthy! I've downloaded a performance of the "Rach 3" with the NYPO/Mehta and Horowitz from 1978. "The boy can play", as sung by Dire Straits. The composure is unbelievable, especially from a man who hated performing in his later years. Notice the way he lowers his eyes to the floor during some passagework, as though he's just dropped something and is casually looking for it!! (Peter, is it good technique to have the wrists below the level of the keyboard?)

http://vimeo.com/1721054
                            Well I can hardly criticise Horowitz's technique - he did some amazing things and notice how flat and straight he keeps his fingers, both things I wouldn't do or teach. As to low/high stool I favour low stool (but not on the floor a la Mr.G.Gould) - the wrist should be flexible (sometimes low, sometimes high depending on the passage) but it shouldn't be higher than the knuckles. Rules though are made to be broken!
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

This part of the public promises not to glare at TheDude. (Silly, winking icon deleted)

Comment

Working...
                              X