Beethoven April Fools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven April Fools

In what has to be one of music history's more bizarre footnotes, a 200 year-old nightshirt recently found in a closet in Vienna has been confirmed--by DNA analysis-- to have indeed belonged to Beethoven. The historical significance is not in the cloth, but in the musical sketch inked on the sleeve. Apparently old Ludvig awoke in the night, seized by inspiration, and finding no paper at hand, sketched out the theme for a sonata on the sleeve of his nightshirt.

A faded note pinned to the nightshirt from the cleaner reads, "Sir, please, I cannot remove the ink stain." Fortunately, because this discovery apparently provided the musical key to performing an unpublished Sonata. The Sonata--christened the Nachtgewand Sonata (Nightshirt Sonata) recently debuted its first performance by pianist Stephen Hough. I couldn't make this up; this is fact. The world waited 200 years to hear a heretofore incomplete Masterpiece until the missing piece was discovered on the sleeve of the composer's pajamas.

(from "Discovering the piano at 50")
    The Daily Beethoven

Some years ago, on the same date, they discovered another Bruckner Symphony, an early work, and numbered it -1 since 0 was already taken.

Comment

In 1973 a Seventh Brandenburg Concerto was broadcast.....
      A pity I didn't tape it, as it was a brilliant pistache

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post

Some nut, no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
          In 1973 a Seventh Brandenburg Concerto was broadcast.....
          I think it was really by his eminent son PDQ Bach who had 3 distinct creative periods : the Initial Plunge, the Soused Period, and the Contrition - the middle one apparently being the longest!
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

I'm sure I mentioned Johann Christian Bach before. He was known as JCB because he broke new ground in music.

Comment

Working...
            X