This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
    After listening to the excerpts to Beethoven's Missa Solemnis (linked in another thread) I am listening to Bruckner's Ave Maria. Philip, do you listen to much of the vocal music of Bruckner? These must be fascinating for harmonic study.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58-Ip...eature=related

Yes, Sorrano, it is beautiful, I also flagged another vocal piece up on page 2, by Anton Bruckner, O Justi .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAuqe...eature=related
    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
      Yes, Sorrano, it is beautiful, I also flagged another vocal piece up on page 2, by Anton Bruckner, O Justi .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAuqe...eature=related
      I did go on to listen to other Bruckner songs, as well, including the Os Justi. These choral/vocal works are so much different than the massive symphonies. Also, I would recommend the Mass No. 2 in E minor. It is scored for a full chorus, but a small wind ensemble. The writing hearkens back to the medieval settings of the mass.

Comment

I did go on to listen to other Bruckner songs, as well, including the Os Justi. These choral/vocal works are so much different than the massive symphonies. Also, I would recommend the Mass No. 2 in E minor. It is scored for a full chorus, but a small wind ensemble. The writing hearkens back to the medieval settings of the mass.
        Thank you Sorrano, I will listen to the piece you recommended. Mass no. 2.

‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

This morning I broke out (figuratively speaking) the Norton CD's that cover the "Ancient to Baroque" periods of music and am listening to the first. Currently playing is the Mass for Christmas Day.
          Hm, something tells me you might be a couple of days too late, Sorrano
          More seriously: this mass consists of anonymus (mass-)movements I guess?
          From which centuries do the stem? 12th, 13th?
          I am asking, as there is an excellent 2CD-set (on Virgin, titled "Millennium") with tropes and mass-movements from the 11th - 13th C plus motets by Jehan de Lescurel (end 13th C) which might interest you.
          Last edited by Roehre; 04-17-2011, 05:58 PM.

Comment

My impression is he carries over the large orchestral temperament into a setting which I am not sure is altogether appropriate. I am not keen on the brassy wind instruments .
            I think the Mass no. 2, is all very much the same, though I quite like the last movement.

Comment

Today:
              JSBach:
              Cantata “Himmelskönig, sei wilkommen” BWV 182 (for Palmarum/Passover, today)

Boulez:
              Le Visage nuptial (1946 rev ‘88/’89)
              Le Soleil des Eaux (1948 rev ’65)
              Figures, Doubles, Prismes (1957 rev ’68)

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                My impression is he carries over the large orchestral temperament into a setting which I am not sure is altogether appropriate. I am not keen on the brassy wind instruments .
                I think the Mass no. 2, is all very much the same, though I quite like the last movement.
                Pay particular attention to the first and last movements, the Kyrie and the Agnus Dei. The other movements will have a tendency to be boisterous as we see, also, with the Missa Solemnis and other settings, that is going to be normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                  Hm, something tells me you might be a couple of days too late, Sorrano
                  More seriously: this mass consists of anonymus (mass-)movements I guess?
                  From which centuries do the stem? 12th, 13th?
                  I am asking, as there is an excellent 2CD-set (on Virgin, titled "Millennium") with tropes and mass-movements from the 11th - 13th C plus motets by Jehan de Lescurel (end 13th C) which might interest you.
                  (I could be early! ) As for the Mass, I do not have much information on it; this is a CD set I picked up separate from the Norton anthology, but I am guessing it is probably from the 11th or 12th Century. This CD set (6 CD's) had been sitting on the shelf for some time and with the Renaissance thread I recalled I had them. There is Leonin's Viderunt Omnes, which is of particular interest to me. I didn't quite make it that far this morning, but later I should get the chance to finish this out.

Comment

Working...
                  X