This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter View Post
    I have a version coupled with the 1812 which uses real canons and you are advised not to play it too loud in case of damage to speakers - I thought it would be a good idea, but then this music you have to play as loud as possible, so I never play that CD!
    Now, if you lived in an apartment and had obnoxious neighbors....

Comment

I have a version coupled with the 1812 which uses real canons and you are advised not to play it too loud in case of damage to speakers - I thought it would be a good idea, but then this music you have to play as loud as possible, so I never play that CD!
      I have that same CD and have always felt uneasy about playing it. It also has the 1812 Overture and it's beautifully packaged, but it has this big sticker shouting: CAUTION! LIVE CANNONS AND MUSKETS!"

In general, I have a soft spot for the Battle Symphony; in the old days it was great for showing off your stereo. I had a friend who had absolutely no interest in classical music, but he would beg to hear this.
      My favourite version is by Neville Marriner and the Academy of St. Martin in the you-know-where. (I know - it sounds unlikely!) In this version, before any of the armies start marshalling, you can hear outdoor ambient sounds, birds twittering and horses galloping.
      I also have a recording of Beethoven's version for solo piano (with attachments) which is absolutely off the wall. The soloist has some sort of percussive apparatus attached to his piano and he uses this to indicate the gunfire. If you think the orchestral version is weird, you should hear this.
      Now, I wonder if there is any version featuring the Panharmonicon ...........

Comment

Today:

Bortkiewicz:
        Symphony no.1 in D op.52 “From my Fatherland” (1934)

Sibelius:
        Symphony no.4 in a op.63

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          I also have a recording of Beethoven's version for solo piano (with attachments) which is absolutely off the wall. The soloist has some sort of percussive apparatus attached to his piano and he uses this to indicate the gunfire. If you think the orchestral version is weird, you should hear this.
          I would love to hear that version! Can you give me some more info on that album, Michael?

The Panharmonicon is an instrument whose sounds I've searched high and low for, without luck - I guess the closest is the midi realization on the Unheard Beethoven site....

In fact my very first blog post was on Wellington's Siege....
          The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Originally posted by Ed C View Post
            I would love to hear that version! Can you give me some more info on that album, Michael?

The only information I have on it is that the fortepiano is played by Wolfgang Brunner with a narration by Peter Pixl. I can't seem to find it on CD but you may do better. The most interesting thing about it is that the arrangement is by Beethoven himself (to the best of my knowledge).

It was played during the BBC Radio 3 Beethoven Experience in 2005, when a whole week was devoted to his music - 24 hours a day for five days. I managed to record some of it and it was available for some years online. I didn't record a lot of it - which was taken from the DGG Complete Beethoven edition - as I already had about 500 CDs of Beethoven alone - and enough is enough. (Well, maybe not ............ )

It was the first time a major network devoted a whole week to the work of a single creative artist. They have since done it with Bach and Mozart and another composer whose name I forget.
            I caught this version of Wellington's Victory about one o'clock in the morning and I didn't know what the hell was going on. I heard this guy shouting in German (who turned out to be the narrator) and then the piano came in followed by weird whacks and thumps! Even the audience were giggling in places.

I went online the next day and recorded the whole thing. When I mentioned it on this forum, one of the founder members, Rod - or maybe Peter - said they were aware of these percussive contraptions that could be played by the pianist. I had never been aware that such things existed.

Here is the relevant page of the Beethoven Experience - but it's worth trawling through the whole website. I don't think any of it can be played back after five or six years. I tried but could only get up the info:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/beethove...nce/pip/ys503/
            Last edited by Michael; 04-05-2011, 02:02 PM.

Comment

I have Karajan's version of Wellingtons Sieg, and while I'm not a huge fan of his otherwise, I like this recording a lot.

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Is it Steven Beck's recording? That's the one I have, and it is quite interesting indeed! Ed: the Beck version can be found here:

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Mili...2011895&sr=8-1

I've wondered that too, and I don't think so, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                I have Karajan's version of Wellingtons Sieg, and while I'm not a huge fan of his otherwise, I like this recording a lot.

Yes, that's the version I played for my non-classical friend. I had it on vinyl for years and then got the CD as part of the DGG complete works set.

Soundwise, the Mercury/Dorati recording (mentioned above - with real cannons) is better and the Neville Marriner version is extremely good. This was included in the "Brilliant" complete edition.

The Steven Beck recording looks like a very useful collection.
                Last edited by Michael; 04-05-2011, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Today I am listening to some Bach organ works played by Simon Preston:

Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565
                  Fantasia in G major, BWV 572
                  Canonic Variations on "Vom Himmel hoch, da komm' ich her", BWV 769
                  Prelude and Fugue in D major, BWV 532
                  Pastorale in F major, BWV 590
                  Prelude and Fugue in E-flat major, BWV 552 "St. Anne"

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                    Is it Steven Beck's recording? That's the one I have, and it is quite interesting indeed! Ed: the Beck version can be found here:

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Mili...2011895&sr=8-1
                    Thank You! Very interesting...! This Beck fellow has recorded ALOT of piano arrangements...must add these to my "cart"...

Sound samples here if anybody else is interested.
                    Last edited by Ed C; 04-05-2011, 05:02 PM.
                    The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Originally posted by Ed C View Post
                      This Beck fellow has recorded ALOT of piano arrangements...must add these to my "cart"...
                      Yes, I think he has seven CDs of rare Beethoven piano pieces out there, and they are all still available at Amazon. Great buys for Beethoven enthusiasts. I talked about them back in March in the "What Are You Listening To Now?" thread.

Comment

Beethoven string quartet Op.135.
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Next door's lawnmower combined with chainsaw
                          Well, that could be a pleasant combination for a short while, though not for too long (not any longer than 4'33", in any case). That said, the thought of chainsawing your head, Peter, gives me rather a frisson, I must say. Add the smiley icon.

Comment

Absolutely, no wonder I think it the worst thing he wrote!
                            Yes. Even Ludwig himself considered it a "rag". But one must eat. Please don't start me on the Triple Concerto. Well, you can try, but I shall ignore you.

Comment

Bruckner symphony no.9 again - it's never had the same appeal as the 8th to me, so I'm trying harder with it!
                              You're doing well, Headmaster, keep it up. I do agree, though; so close chronologically but the sound worlds between the 8th and 9th are far apart. But isn't this as it should be?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                                They are certainly different, one from another. The climactic moment in the 9th is always a big thrill to me, especially as the work subsides in such tranquility minutes later. The 8th is one of the first that I became really acquainted with, so it always remains special in that respect.
                                My "in-road" to Bruckner was the 4th, so that is my first love, so to speak.

Comment

Working...
                                X