Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, it's a beautiful spring day, I don't know what CD to put on. Any suggestions?
    Tonight it's going to be Janacek's The Makropulos Case (Vec Makropulos). Anybody know this work? Am I going to enjoy myself?

Comment

[QUOTE=Philip;50754]Ah, it's a beautiful spring day, I don't know what CD to put on. Any suggestions?
      Tonight it's going to be Janacek's The Makropulos Case (Vec Makropulos). Anybody know this work? Am I going to enjoy myself?[/QUOT]

A nice one might be, Strauss' Alpine Symphony.
      Last edited by Megan; 04-07-2011, 09:30 AM.
      🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
        A nice one might be, Strauss' Alpine Symphony.
        I don't have that CD, Megan. Another suggestion?

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
          I don't have that CD, Megan. Another suggestion?

Beethoven's Triple Cornetto? You might get to like it.

Or, A few Bagatelles with Polonaise sauce.

Last edited by Megan; 04-07-2011, 10:38 AM.
          🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
            Beethoven's Triple Cornetto? You might get to like it.
            Or, A few Bagatelles with Polonaise sauce.
            Nah! At least you didn't recommend Vivaldi 4 Seasons Pizza (with spring onions) !

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
              Listening to Bruckner's 4th Symphony (from the Finnish concert). Because it is late I will only get through the first movement and will have to catch the rest of this tomorrow. The first piece (it took a minute to find it) was Kraus' Sinfonia por la chiesa.
              Sorrano, you are an IT whizz kid, I know you are. Could you explain (in one-syllable words, grunts and gestures) to an IT neanderthal like me how I go about recording that Bruckner 4th from the Finnish radio site?

Comment

Ah, it's a beautiful spring day, I don't know what CD to put on. Any suggestions?
                Tonight it's going to be Janacek's The Makropulos Case (Vec Makropulos). Anybody know this work? Am I going to enjoy myself?
                I don't know the piece and admit that Janacek is not a strong point, but he really is a composer who fascinates me and deserves further investigation on my part (sometime!). The weather here is also beautiful.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                  Listening to different pieces by Mussorgsky.

It is a great sadness (in the musical world) that he did not write more music. He really had very serious feeling and was capable of writing great music. I wonder if he wanted to write more music or was he comfortable writing less music?
                  He had a slight alcohol problem I'm afraid! The pictures at an Exhibition is something I really enjoy, especially in the piano version if played well.
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                    He had a slight alcohol problem I'm afraid! The pictures at an Exhibition is something I really enjoy, especially in the piano version if played well.
                    As did Satie, who managed more output. I heard extracts of his orchestral music for circus on the radio yesterday (no, I wasn't mowing the lawn, reading, eating, shopping ... I was listening), one piece having been commissioned by Cocteau, no less. I really think I'm going to have to pay a lot more attention to Erik.

Comment

As did Satie, who managed more output. I heard extracts of his orchestral music for circus on the radio yesterday (no, I wasn't mowing the lawn, reading, eating, shopping ... I was listening), one piece having been commissioned by Cocteau, no less. I really think I'm going to have to pay a lot more attention to Erik.
                      Satie was wonderful - again you've made me feel guilty because there is so much of his I don't know. He was such a character - I have his mammal's notebook which should be compulsory for anyone suffering from depression!
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Satie is wonderful ! Why the guilt? We can't listen to everything. It's funny, the opera I'm going to listen to tonight is about a lady who took a magic long-life potion when she was 16 and is now 300+ years old. At the end she decides not to "renew" the dose, and dies. Silly cow, give me another 300 years please so I can catch up on about 500 years of musical culture.
                        Last edited by Quijote; 04-07-2011, 01:30 PM. Reason: Missing preposition. My equilibrium is restored.

Comment

For starters.

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                            Listening to different pieces by Mussorgsky.

It is a great sadness (in the musical world) that he did not write more music. He really had very serious feeling and was capable of writing great music. I wonder if he wanted to write more music or was he comfortable writing less music?
                            Oh, I hear you on that one!

Comment

Sorrano, you are an IT whizz kid, I know you are. Could you explain (in one-syllable words, grunts and gestures) to an IT neanderthal like me how I go about recording that Bruckner 4th from the Finnish radio site?
                              The problem with some of these streaming sights is that you have to exercise a certain amount of trickery to capture these. I didn't even try with the Bruckner; but if I do I will let you know. Sometimes you need a third party application in order to capture it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                                Oh, I hear you on that one!
                                - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Working...
                                X