X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Beethoven Quadrangle

This is news to me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beethoven_quadrangle

I bet you Holst didn't know about it either or he would might have included a musical reference in that movement of the "Planets"
    I think there's a Beethoven Island or something on this planet, maybe the South Pole.

What about Vaughan-Williams and the Beethoven peninsula in his Symphony Antartica!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beethoven_Peninsula
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      This is news to me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beethoven_quadrangle

I bet you Holst didn't know about it either or he would might have included a musical reference in that movement of the "Planets"
      I think there's a Beethoven Island or something on this planet, maybe the South Pole.
      Holst would have had to include many quotes (but the nomenclature for Mercury was only designed and applied from 1974 onwards [40 years after Holst's death], following receiving the pictures sent to earth by Marriner 10).

Thus Mercury is scattered with composers (and writers and philosophers and painters), just to mention some of the composers: Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Desprez, Dvorak, Gluck, Handel, Haydn, Mahler, Mozart, Puccini, Purcell, Rameau, Schönberg, Schubert, Stravinsky, Verdi, Vivaldi, Wagner.

But Mercury is a rather hellish place.....
      Last edited by Roehre; 03-28-2011, 09:13 AM.

Comment

This is all news to me - fantastic! I'll have to look into this Beethoven quadrangle some more, maybe make some kind of art project out of it I don't know.... Space landscapes have always struck me as the art of a "higher being".

Peter, can you fill me in on Vaughan-Williams' "Symphony Antarctica" Beethoven peninsula reference?
        The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Originally posted by Ed C View Post
          This is all news to me - fantastic! I'll have to look into this Beethoven quadrangle some more, maybe make some kind of art project out of it I don't know.... Space landscapes have always struck me as the art of a "higher being".

Peter, can you fill me in on Vaughan-Williams' "Symphony Antarctica" Beethoven peninsula reference?
          Well Vaughan-Williams actually makes no reference to Beethoven as far as I'm aware in his 7th symphony, but it would have been nice had he done so - there is a Beethoven Peninusla (and other composers) in Antartica !
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

I don't want to start a thread on this, so I'll mention here that I completely forgot the anniversary of Beethoven's death a few days ago, 26th March.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              I don't want to start a thread on this, so I'll mention here that I completely forgot the anniversary of Beethoven's death a few days ago, 26th March.
              That makes two of us then

Comment

I was reminded of B.'s death by a friend and decided not to comment on it - frankly I find death to be kind of depressing.
                The Daily Beethoven

Comment

I knew there was something I had forgotten!

Comment

Working...
                  X