Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who are the greatest composers for the voice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who are the greatest composers for the voice?

Classical music can be perfect and entire all on its own. But when the human voice is added to it in the form of Opera, arias, choral music or recitative, it is something even more wondrous is brought about. I have always been undecided whether the instruments compliment the voices, or the voices compliment the instruments. Then there is the seperate issue of Plain Chant and the rich harmonics for voices alone of someone like Palestrina.

My choice of the greatest composers for voice is:

Bach
    Palestrina
    Vivaldi
    Mozart

‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Monteverdi
    Handel
    Puccini
    Verdi
    Richard Strauss
    Wagner
    Alban Berg
    Last edited by The Dude; 03-26-2011, 07:08 PM. Reason: ...of course!

Comment

Yes! How could I miss out Monteverdi, and Striggio.

I don't know about Verdi, too over the top, my opion of course.
      Last edited by Megan; 03-26-2011, 05:39 PM.
      ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

This is not exactly mainstream, but don't forget Bruckner. His choral output may be small, but it is masterful.

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
          My choice of the greatest composers for voice is:

Bach
          Palestrina
          Vivaldi
          Mozart
          Good list, and I agree with you with the exception of Vivaldi, just because I have not heard many of his vocal works. I would add Handel as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
            Classical music can be perfect and entire all on its own. But when the human voice is added to it in the form of Opera, arias, choral music or recitative, it is something even more wondrous is brought about.
            I wouldn't agree with you there, Megan, but that's merely my opinion. I think instrumental music is the purest and most satisfying of all, especially in the symphonic forms.
            Having said that, I think the two greatest composers for the human voice are Mozart and Handel.

Comment

No one mentioned the greatest song writer of the lot - Franz Schubert!
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

I agree that Schubert songs are gems, but what spoils it for me a bit, is how short they are. I like a continuous flowing movement in music. I have always thought with Schubert that he taps into something very dark and deep. All those songs about meeting mysterious people in forests at night , and charcoal burners.
                It takes us back to our childhood. It's so powerful because it conjures up traditional fairy tales associated with danger and adventure and obviously links up with something very ancient and deep and dark in the human psyche. Schubert is a master at this.

Comment

Great topic, tho I have to admit I share Michael's sentiments - I personally much prefer instrumental music (this, despite the fact that my wife is a singer!).

Having said that:

Pre-20th C.
                  Beethoven (ex. Mephistos Flohleid)
                  Cherubini (ex. Medea)
                  Rossini
                  Schubert (ex. The Wanderer)

20th Century
                  Gorecki (ex. Sorrowful Songs)
                  Debussy (ex. Fantoches)
                  Kurt Weill (ex Alabama Song)
                  Ligeti: "Lux aeterna"
                  Ravel
                  Schoenberg (Pierrot Lunaire)
                  The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Schumann was also a great song writer. Then don't forget the other great opera composers, Verdi and Puccini. I caught the tail end of a live performance of Verdi's Te Deum that was done as a benefit concert for the Japanese earthquake and it was absolutely stunning.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed C View Post
                      Pre-20th C.
                      Beethoven (ex. Mephistos Flohleid)
                      Great video. And one in the eye for anyone who thinks Beethoven didn't have a sense of humour.
                      As well as forgetting Schubert, I did (momentarily) forget that Beethoven wrote nearly a hundred songs. But on his own admission, he found song-writing difficult because he tried to match every word of the lyric to the music, with performance viability coming a poor second -even though he was aware of the singability (there's a new word which I've just coined!) issue and bemoaned it. (Just listen to the Missa Solemnis where almost every syllable is fraught with meaning). This caused the singers to complain when their miserable vocal chords couldn't negotiate his difficult passages, so he was glad to get back to his orchestra and piano.
                      He did write some beautiful songs, though.
                      Last edited by Michael; 03-27-2011, 05:37 PM.

Comment

The singability issue deserves a thread all by itself (and perhaps I'll do a search) but for now just one other LvB song submission

Adelaide, arranged for voice and guitar (instead of piano).

I can somewhat imagine Joan Baez or Joni Mitchell singing this, were it in English.
                        The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Originally posted by Ed C View Post
                          Adelaide, arranged for voice and guitar (instead of piano).

I can somewhat imagine Joan Baez or Joni Mitchell singing this, were it in English.
                          Gorgeous! Listen to this, Megan.
                          Where do you get these things, Ed?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                            If you go to this link you will get every Beethoven vid posted on Youtube in the last 24 hours. Part of my Daily Beethoven blog routine is to spend a few minutes each day scrolling through to see if anything interesting pops up....
                            The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Thank you Michael.
                              I agree, this is a beautiful clear rendition.
                              Last edited by Megan; 03-27-2011, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X