A couple favorite moments in B's String Qrtts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ed C View Post
    I have about 20 complete string quartet cycles and my favorite set which I come back to again and again is the Takacs Quartet. Incredible dynamics, impeccably recorded, fiery tempos, nary a misstep. Kind of like the Emerson set but with soul....

Guarneri takes a close second, just because on a few movements their voicings seem a tad better articulated...(GF 133 is probably the most coherent IMHO..)
    Twenty cycles! I thought I was doing well with five. (Although I have a lot of incomplete cycles).
    I would put the Guarneris high on my list also. The Italianos would be my number one choice for many of the quartets, especially Raz 1-3, Opus 127 and 135. Their Grosse Fuge would be my favourite version.
    Interestingly, on the Desert Island thread, James Ellroy picked two Italiano versions of the late quartets.

Comment

Have you heard the Endellion Quartet cycle? I'm actually working my way thru that set now. It has all the official quartets, as well as the alternate Op.18.1, and a bonus disc of quintets and fugue fragments...so far it's very good, tho not in my top 5 I don't think.

I have the Italiano, perhaps I'll dig that out and give it another whirl...

Does anybody know if there is a complete string quartet cycle on period instruments? The Schuppanzigh Qrtt and Quatour Turner both I know have individual discs of HIP string quartets but has anybody completed a full cycle?

OK I've got my Ipod here handy so I'm going to copy-paste my fav non-Takacs quartets:

String Qrtt 12 in E-flat major, Op. 127 (Lasalle Qrtt)
      string quartet op. 18 no 2 in G major (Tokyo, 2007)
      String Quartet in C, op.59 no.3(Razumovsky) (Melos Qrtt)
      String Qrtt 3: op. 18 no. 3 (Tokyo, 2007)
      String Qrtt 11 Op. 95 in F minor (Emerson)
      String Quartet Op.132 a-moll - (Alban Berg Qrtt)
      String Qrtt 4 Op. 18 No.4 in C minor (Emerson)
      String Qrtt Op. 18 No.1 in F (Emerson)
      String Quartet Op. 131 in C sharp minor (Emerson)
      String Quartet in E flat major ('Harp') op. 74 (Emerson)
      String Qrtt 5 Op. 18 No.5 in A (Emerson)
      String Qrtt 8 Op.59 No.2 in E minor Rasumovsky (Smetana Qrtt)
      String Quartet in B-flat Major, Op. 130 (Yale Qrtt)
      String Quartet No.7, Op.59 No.1 (Emerson):
      String Qrtt 6 op.18 no.6 in Bb major (Tokyo, 2007)
      Grosse Fugue Op.133 (Hagen Qrtt)
      String Quartet Op. 135 in C sharp minor (Emerson)
      STRING QRTT OP 133 (Guarneri)

I'm surprised there's so much Emerson....oh also this list completely excludes the Budapest 50's set - that's the other complete cycle I like besides the Takacs.

4/7 The 5th Symphony (Color Analysis)
      Last edited by Ed C; 04-07-2011, 05:13 AM.
      The Daily Beethoven

Comment

That's some collection, Ed. I have a lot of oddments as well but I haven't the stamina to list them at the moment.
        Talking of quartets,this HAS to be the weirdest venue yet for a Beethoven quartet performance:

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2011...ogle_news_blog

Schubert's famous quintet would have been more appropriate.
        This performance took place only yesterday.
        Salmon should complain. Although, I eventually got hooked. Talk about major and minor scales.
        The Hammerheadklavier might have been more appropriate.

Last edited by Michael; 04-07-2011, 01:32 PM. Reason: Trying to think of awful fishy puns.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          That's some collection, Ed. I have a lot of oddments as well but I haven't the stamina to list them at the moment.
          Talking of quartets,this HAS to be the weirdest venue yet for a Beethoven quartet performance:

Salmon should complain. Although, I eventually got hooked. Talk about major and minor scales.

Haahaa! That video really made my day. Hats off.

Oh wait - I just read your puns...(hat carefully being replaced on head)
          Just kidding - brilliant.
          The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

True, Schubert liked a good Tuna for his piano.

Comment

Working...
            X