Beethoven's "Pathetique" Sonata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vipercat:
    Tell me about it, the 4th's opening is a killer!! I am spending hours and hours to perfect it...Haha! But that's what's so wonderful about the piano - being able to spend so much valuable time with it! :-)
    I remember reading a criticism of B by Britten (who in his youth had been a great Beethoven fan). He said Beethoven was too obvious - too upfront and in your face. That certainly couldn't be said of the 4th which is an incredibly subtle and almost introverted work compared to the extrovert 'Emperor'. You're very lucky to be working on the 4th - a very rewarding experience musically and technically.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I'm slightly confused - Are you talking about the 4th Concerto or the 4th Piano Sonata?! The sonata, 'The Girl in Love', is a wonderful early work; what about that slow movement?!

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
        I'm slightly confused - Are you talking about the 4th Concerto or the 4th Piano Sonata?! The sonata, 'The Girl in Love', is a wonderful early work; what about that slow movement?!
        Sorry for the confusion - I meant the concerto. The girl in love? now you've confused me!

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
          Sorry for the confusion - I meant the concerto. The girl in love? now you've confused me!

Yes this is correct, with op7, 'Die Verliebte' I think was the German name for it for a while.

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 09-08-2001).]
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
            Yes this is correct, with op7, 'Die Verliebte' I think was the German name for it for a while.

Well I never knew that, or if I did I've completely forgotten!
            Do we know why it's called that - something to do with the dedicatee, Countess Keglevics?

------------------
            'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 09-08-2001).]
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Ludwig Amadeus Schubert:
              I've been playing the Piano for 2 years and people say I'm incredible. Now I'm practicing Beethoven's "Pathetique" Sonata and I just want to hear people's opinions about the difficulty of it. I'm just curious :-D. And please don't tell me it's the easiest piece Beethoven ever wrote. >:
              Hello
              Ludwig Amadeus Schubert
              First of all let me tell you not to pay attention to those who try to break your spirit.
              If you know the sonata form it will be clear to you that Beethoven broke it in this sonata. almost every sonata in the classicl period start with the first subject in the expsition, and plays the expsition to times. see for that the repetition mark at the end of the expsition and to were it goes. actually it never come to the beggining, but onle to the faster part. so the first subject is only prsented there. is says somthing about the composer who lived between the classical and the romantic periods, the omposer says ther that he himself is not sure about his position in this world at the time he is palying that pice. he wandwe in public untill today.
              think about it, I have to go now but I'll be glad to continue writing my ideas about this sonata.

Ilan Bar Shalom

I love teaching the experiance of Beethoven with comparssing to the general art and history of his time

Comment

Well I never knew that, or if I did I've completely forgotten!
                Do we know why it's called that - something to do with the dedicatee, Countess Keglevics?

Yes, Countess Babette was the 'Girl in Love', but I don't know how the sonata came to be known as such. Maybe a crush she had on LvB?

Comment

I remember reading a criticism of B by Britten (who in his youth had been a great Beethoven fan). He said Beethoven was too obvious - too upfront and in your face. That certainly couldn't be said of the 4th which is an incredibly subtle and almost introverted work compared to the extrovert 'Emperor'. You're very lucky to be working on the 4th - a very rewarding experience musically and technically.

Yes, I am very lucky (and happy) to be working on the 4th Concerto. It is the most demanding work I have ever attempted, because it sounds so easy yet is so difficult. What you said about the subtleties is absolutely correct!

Comment

Working...
                  X